Logo

Volvo Penta power assist steering

kkofoed

Hello, I recently installed a Volvo Penta 570 DP into an oldBayliner with a command bridge.
The VP has power assist steering (PAS). I connected the twosteering cable like this in the picture. The lower helm cable goes into the PASactuator, the upper helm cable connect on the opposite side. The lower steeringworks great, turns with a finger while the upper wheel turn with it. But when Itry and turn from the upper helm I get nothing. All steering wheels/cables turnfine disconnect and you can turn the out drive by hand.

Does anyone know how the PWS works? And or any ideas on whatI can do?
Thanks Kelly

Attachments

• Dual Steering Cable Connect.JPG
    Dual Steering Cable Connect.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 105
The lower helm cable goes into the PASactuator, the upper helm cable connect on the opposite side.

Ayuh,.... I ain't done a twin helm hook up, but I know that is wrong,....

The actuator gets it's signal to help from where the lower cable is attached,...
Hookin' the cable anywhere else, don't work,....

Thank Bondo, I greased both cables using air and marvel mystical oil. I tore down and regreased the helms/rack&pinion stuff. I move the upper helm cable to other side and mounted it just above the other cable. The upper helm now turns but not sure if it is activating the PAS. I know that there is no electronics on the PAS so I assume there is a mechanical spring that activates the valve. I try to find a inter diagram of the PAS but no luck. I will next disconnect it and see how it steers. Thanks Kelly

Steering.jpg

The upper helm now turns but not sure if it is activating the PAS. I know that there is no electronics on the PAS so I assume there is a mechanical spring that activates the valve.

Ayuh,.... Hard to explain, But,....

Where the P/S part attaches to the normal manual steerin' system at the point they meet, there's a tiny shuttle-valve that applies power to the tiller,....
As the cable pushes or pulls, the valve where they meet senses, 'n helps push or pull,...
It only moves a few thousandths of an inch, 'n happens extremely fast, so ya don't really feel it,...

Thank Bondo, I did find a diagram on how the PAS works. In the meantime I connected both cables to the PAS, both helms now steer but are still very difficult and jerky. I am thinking I really need to connect the upper steering helm to the lower helm. Then have a single cable go to the PAS. Unfortunately I cannot find a rack & pinion cable that goes from one rack & pinion helm to the other rack & pinion helm. I see where I can order the a rotary system that will work but would require me to replaced all helms and cables (too much $$$). Do you know of any one that makes custom steering cables? Thanks

Combined Steering Cables.jpgPin Connection.JPG

Thank Bondo, I did find a diagram on how the PAS works. In the meantime I connected both cables to the PAS, both helms now steer but are still very difficult and jerky. I am thinking I really need to connect the upper steering helm to the lower helm. Then have a single cable go to the PAS. Unfortunately I cannot find a rack & pinion cable that goes from one rack & pinion helm to the other rack & pinion helm. I see where I can order the a rotary system that will work but would require me to replaced all helms and cables (too much $$$). Do you know of any one that makes custom steering cables? Thanks

View attachment 16607View attachment 16608
If you even have the room under the dash for the rotary system. By any chance is the lower helm a non feedback helm?

Have plenty of room but not sure what you mean by non feedback helm. Its a old (1978) Morse rack and pinion helm. I was thinking of buying this helm and running the second cable to the upper helm but cannot find a cable. Thanks Kelly
Dual rack.JPG

Ayuh,.... That helm is for a dual cable system for high power hot rod boats,....

For what yer tryin' to do, maybe call Teli-flex or whatever manufacturers you can find,...
It's gonna be a full blown Custom system for sure,...
Maybe consider goin' full Hydraulic steerin',..??..??

The teleflex dual station rotary system sounds like the ticket to me if you have room? Measure the distance center of the steering shaft up, read the installation instructions will show you how to measure clearances.

Back