Logo

Help fixing the Throttle Link Spring on my 1980 Johnson 35HP

mgermani

Hi, I'm a new owner of this old engine and have a question... The motor sounds healthy and runs well, the only issue I've noticed is a periodic kick that occurs in drive at high RPMs. Every 10-20 seconds the motor kicks (with what sounds like a short burst of RPM). I took the cowl off to take a look and noticed the throttle link spring is detached and the linkage that connects the throttle shaft to the aperture plate is very loose at the throttle shaft connection (I may have my terms incorrect but I'm working off the manual). I don't know if the kicking is related to this connection but I figure it's easy enough to order a couple parts and fix it up properly (spring P/N 0321721). The problem is I have no idea where this spring is actually supposed to connect. The manual I have doesn't show the installed configuration, only the exploded view, and I can't find any holes in the area that look like where the spring wire would fit into.

Any help is appreciated.
Mike
20170918_131641.jpg20170916_085507.jpg

Wow, thanks for the quick response! So, one end of the spring goes around that post. Does the other end go into this hole drilled in the arm/link? That's where the existing spring was stuck. I only ask because it looks like the arm sold as a replacement on marineengine.com does not have this hole so not sure if this was a homemade temporary fix.
20170918_193929.jpg

The spring puts outward pressure on the throttle lever so when the timing advances to its stop the spring allows the throttle lever to open the carb fully. It looks like the bushing is still there you need the washer and spring. washer #0305831 and spring#0321721. Hook the spring in the small hole and set the washer on the throttle arm post then put the spring in the slot in the post. Then you need to check engine sync and link. Loosen the screw in the collar that is on the upper linkage then shift into forward gear engine off turn the prop so it goes into gear. From slow advance the throttle to where the roller is center of the two marks on the throttle cam. At that point the carb should just begin to open that is engine sync. Then advance the throttle to wide open throttle and the with one finger hold the carb fully open and slide the collar up tight to the pivot pin and tighten the screw that holds the carb fully open at WOT.

Last edited:
That is a homemade temporary fix.-------Time to replace it.

Does this spring end go around that vertical post?
Maybe I have it backward but dang I can get it to clip on there and actually stay?
Anyone have a picture of this spring setup properly?
Thx
JS

Last edited:
Back