Logo

New 5 horse 4 stroke

NEWHONDA

I recently purchased a 5 horsepower Honda 4 stroke outboard motor for a small fishing boat. I used it twice and then had to put it in my Jeep to take it to storage.

I put it on the correct side for transport and yet it leaked oil all over the place. I cleaned it up and just put it in storage completely upright.

Do I need to drain and change the oil before attempting a start up? Is there anything I need to do to make sure I don't cause any long term damage.

I am really new to all of this, sorry if I sound like an incompetant hack.

thanks for any and all replies!

Most likely you have too much oil in the motor.

In the past, the oil level for all of the 5 HP, since the first one, was checked by inserting the dip stick into its receptacle (not screwed in) and you make sure that it is slightly below the full mark. The area on the stick was pretty wide and not too difficult to assure proper oil level.

On the new 4, 5 and 6 HP's....when checking the oil level.....the motor should be perfectly vertical and the dip stick should be turned all the way in, then removed to check the marks on the dipstick. However, the distance between the two marks is less than 1/4"...so it makes it a challenge to get the oil to proper level. ....And it is very easy to overfill.

You should not have to change the oil again.....just drain the oil out to the proper level.

So do not feel bad.....if that is the problem.

Review your owner's manual a little closer in the oil change section. Page 64... http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/00X31ZVC6010.pdf

When you buy these on line, there may or may no be a single sheet of instructions for setup. I see this all the time not only for Hondas bought on line, but other motors too.

If purchased from a dealer, they "should have" already had the motor setup with oil to the proper level. Of course, that may not happen with all dealers.

Mike

Most likely you have too much oil in the motor.

In the past, the oil level for all of the 5 HP, since the first one, was checked by inserting the dip stick into its receptacle (not screwed in) and you make sure that it is slightly below the full mark. The area on the stick was pretty wide and not too difficult to assure proper oil level.

On the new 4, 5 and 6 HP's....when checking the oil level.....the motor should be perfectly vertical and the dip stick should be turned all the way in, then removed to check the marks on the dipstick. However, the distance between the two marks is less than 1/4"...so it makes it a challenge to get the oil to proper level. ....And it is very easy to overfill.

You should not have to change the oil again.....just drain the oil out to the proper level.

So do not feel bad.....if that is the problem.

Review your owner's manual a little closer in the oil change section. Page 64... http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/00X31ZVC6010.pdf

When you buy these on line, there may or may no be a single sheet of instructions for setup. I see this all the time not only for Hondas bought on line, but other motors too.

If purchased from a dealer, they "should have" already had the motor setup with oil to the proper level. Of course, that may not happen with all dealers.

Mike

Interesting, Ok, so if that turns out to be the problem, and once I correct it, can the motor indeed be transported on it's proper side without oil spilling all over the place?

There are some of the larger Honda motors that need to have the oil removed.

Some of the larger Mercury's should only be transported with the front side down...generally crated.

The small Tohatsus and Nissans (which are also the smaller Mercurys) lay on their side but should have their powerheads slightly elevated. This is not indicated in the owner's manual, for some reason.

From what I have seen.....unless there is a true oil leak and the transporting directions unique to each motor are followed, then there should be no problem.

Let us know what you find.

Mike

Back