Logo

Idle Adjustment 2006 9.9 Remote

Hello
What is the correct way to adjust the idle on my 9.9 Honda (remote cable)? It starts and runs at an RPM too fast to shift. It's on a 2010 Hewes 1800. Was doing good when I parked it (covered in carport) in 2015 but on firing it up today I can't get it to idle unless I physically pull back on the cable linkage. Cable linkage seems smooth. Never used alcohol added gas prior to parking. I could add a spring at the carburetor but would rather "fix" it right.

Thanks,

Mark

If it responds by pulling on the cable, then it's not a gas or internal to the carburetor problem. It likely just needs lube somewhere. Either in the shift console itself or where cable exits the housing under the hood. I wouldn't suspect the linkage at the carburetor right off the bat unless you see that the spring is broken.

You might try taking the cable off of the carb and see how it starts and idles. It SHOULD have an elevated idle when cold and start slowing to around 950 rpm in about 1 minute or so.

If that's how it operates with the cable uncoupled at carb then you know it's not the carb and you need to concentrate on the cable and console.

I have had a sticky cable fool me more than once. They feel "smooth enough" but they stick just enough to cause problems. Typically a new cable is required for trouble free operation if that's what's happening.

Good luck

Jimmy is correct.

If it idles ok when you disconnect the cable, you might also just have a slight kink in the cable (from engine being tilted or cables stepped on) and it does not allow the cable to move as it should....or....

the linkages might have gotten worn or the cable is stretched.

You might be able to solve the issue, at least temporarily, by turning the cable end connector out a turn or two to allow the cable to extend all the way to allow the motor to idle.

If the cable is sticking, then as Jimmy said, the cable may need to eventually be replaced. When you do that, I always recommend that both cables be changed. It is only a few more minutes of work in addition to the cost of one other cable.

Mike

Yep. With the cable disconnected she idled as she should. I adjusted the cable a couple of turns, lubricated the cable a bit, exercised the controls a bit and it's back to normal.

Thanks,
Mark

Back