Logo

Honda BF30 Outboard but generally any Outboard

andyk58

Hi All (first post)

I don't see any cooling water exiting the engine - does it exit above or below the waterline? (Above I thought) I can see two grilles just above the propeller (under the waterline) which I assume are the intakes and they 'look' clear of debris but it seems I will have to get in the water to service these.
If I take the engine upto about 3000rpm briefly then lots of 'air' exit the aforementioned 'intake' grills....

Whats going on ......

Thanks guys....

Well, you should not be running any outboard without a water supply to the water pump.--------If you did that you now need a new pump kit.------------The tell tale abiove the water is merely an indication that the pump is working.------------95 % of the water exits out the prop with the exhaust.

Well, you should not be running any outboard without a water supply to the water pump.--------If you did that you now need a new pump kit.------------The tell tale abiove the water is merely an indication that the pump is working.------------95 % of the water exits out the prop with the exhaust.

Hi
The boat and outboard are in the water - just that there is no indication of water flow apart from these 'bubbles' at a high rpm - should there be water exiting this 'tell-tale' - presumably above the waterline?

Yes, on most Hondas, the tell tale nozzle is located on the starboard side of the engine case just below the flange that the removable hood sits on and slightly to the rear. If you can't find it there, look on the opposite side.

Sometimes the the plastic tube or, the fitting that the tube attaches to on the engine block, get plugged with debris and need to be cleared. Sometimes a piece of wire or weed eater line will help to clear it.

But, if your pump isn't working, no amount of "probing" will help and the pump will need replacing. The lower half of the outboard will have to come off for that chore so the outboard will need to be out of the water.

Some replace their pump impeller every year, as the book recommends. I do mine every other season.

Good luck and ask all the questions you want to. That's why we're all here.

Back