Logo

Johnson 20hp carb problems

Big-ell

Hi all I have a Johnson 20 hp 2 stroke out board that is running quite lumpy and after inspection of the carb it looks to me like the needle that runs vertical through the centre of the carb is poking out the bottom of the main jet which means I can remove the main jet as it's in the middle of the flats for the screwdriver is this normal ? Thank you in advance

Johnson 20 hp

Running quite lumpy.
Carburetor looks like vertical needle running through center of the carb is poking out the bottom of the main jet.
Meaning I can remove the main jet as it's in the middle of the flats for the screwdriver

BJ20ELESB = 1990 20hp Johnson Electric, Manufacturer Belgium

Just to refresh my memory and checking the books... there is no needle running vertical through the center of the carburetor. There is only the brass vertical high speed nozzle... and on many models, a very small diameter brass slow speed tube running off center up through the center of that brass nozzle.

Both of the two above mentioned brass components would be fixed items within the upper body.

It sounds like you are saying that one or both of these items are protruding so low that they are keeping the brass High Speed jet from seating. That would be impossible as the High Speed jet seats before it could gain access to the nozzle area.... the threaded High Speed jet portion does not thread through to the nozzle area.

I think that we will need a little more definition of this problem... at least I'm somewhat confused.

The installation of the high speed jet requires a screwdriverthat has a shank that just clears the 1/4x20 threads of the drain plug, modified so that the tip is shaped as follows.

317002a_CARB-JET_REM-INST.jpg

Back