Logo

ignition coil, Diamond E-035, common part number?

centerline

Regular Contributor
does anyone know what the common part number for the diamond ignition coil is... the diamond number is E-035 and the sierra number is 18-5437, but none of the local parts places recognize either of these numbers, so they cant cross them...

the correct OMC numbers (383444 and 378231) cross over to a delco U-505, but this is WRONG because it is a resisted coil.....

I need a NON resisted coil of the correct ohms for the BID system on my boat, but I dont know what the ohms of the coil are supposed to be....

thanks

UPDATE... I found what I was looking for.
the Prestolite distributor with the BID system (breakerless ignition) will use a 1.5ohm ignition coil, without a resistor in the system.... some coils, such as the OEM diamond E-035 (which I have found is a 1.5ohm coil) will have instructions that say to use the coil with an external ballast resistor, but the prestolite BID does not require a ballast resistor when a 1.5ohm coil is used.
when the prestolite BID was still being manufactured, it was recommended to replace the OEM coil with a prestolite 5-69 coil... which was simply a 1.5ohm "black can" coil. (no longer being manufactured)
the recommended replacement is a 1.5ohm Pertronix or MSD coil, which are still being manufactured.

NOTE; external ballast resistors were used with the diamond E-035 on breaker point ignitions.

Last edited:
You can use a points type coil just add a ballast resistor. Check that coil shortly after starting the engine if the coil gets hot to the touch just put a ballast resistor to coil pos and call it good.

You can use a points type coil just add a ballast resistor. Check that coil shortly after starting the engine if the coil gets hot to the touch just put a ballast resistor to coil pos and call it good.

not in this case... the instructions that were included with the BID module kits, for those that wanted to upgrade from points to the Breakerless Ignition Distributor system, the instructions stated specifically, if there is a ballast resistor in the system, remove it from the system or bypass it when using the BID module as it was designed to be used directly with the 1.5ohm standard OEM coil .
the only reason that a ballast resistor may be needed with the module is if the system has been modified and a low resistance coil installed.

Back