Logo

1979 70 hp evinrude shift shaft rod (engine to the lower unit) measurement.

primodude

Gentlemen....many thanks again for the great help in the past in removing the lower unit. Now I am ready to reassemble, and want to make sure the shifting rod is positioned approximately right. The shift rod the moves the lower unit to neutral, reverse and forward. I assume its about 21.5" in the reverse or lowest position from the hole at the top to the lower entry casting to the lower gear casting.
Any answer will be appreciated again....My manual has no references for this.
"Woody, aka Primodude:)

I was a bit mistaken, my Clymer Manual did have the information. My 79 70hp, is a long shaft and the measurement from the CENTER of the shift rod hole at the top, to the lower case (shift rod case, not gear case) top is
20" and 29/32nd, give or take 1/32" in a vertical measurement.. Information is on page 419.
Along with many others from year 1970 thru 1990. It pays to do research when you can.
Regards to all.... Primodude

Last edited:
I was a bit mistaken, my Clymer Manual did have the information. My 79 70hp, is a long shaft and the measurement from the CENTER of the shift rod hole at the top, to the lower case (shift rod case, not gear case) top is
21 & 23/32nd, give or take 1/32" in a vertical measurement.. Information is on page 419.
Along with many others from year 1970 thru 1990. It pays to do research when you can.
Regards to all.... Primodude
I was twice mistaken, begging your pardon.. I changed the measurement in red above.. I was looking at a 48 to 60hp..not the 70 hp. The numbers in red above are correct according the book.
It still pays to continue to research... and measure twice. :)

But the measurement is to the top of the gearcase with the clutch dog in nuetral !----You do not measure to the shift rod housing !

Adjustment made from the top surface of the gear-case to the center of the shift rod hole.

1978 - 1981 - 70, 75hp (L) 21-23/32" plus/minus 1/32". Have shift rod in neutral.

Aye.....your both correct and I stand corrected.. Reviewing the photo on page 407 figure 61, they do show the commercial measurement tool part number 38997 resting on the gear case lip edge.. .NOT the shift rod case. Many thanks. Soon I will be mistake proofed. :)
Primodude.

Back