Logo

Default Mercruser trim tilt problems

HI I have a trim tilt that runs for a few seconds and stops, I jumped the relays to see if the pump would continue running because I was told that would bypass the wireing and test just the motor and the motor still runs for a moment and stops .so I'm wondering if the motor is bad it sets for a few about a minute and will do it again I was wondering if it is acting like a coil and shorts out as it warms up thanks.

Default Re: Mercruser trim tilt problems

take it apart and clean the armature check the brushes for free movement and it should work just fine.

Thank you I will try that

2004 Bravo III
    1. The only Maintenance I see for the power trim, according to the manual(s), is air bleeding. It makes sense to me with no boat history after 15+ years to begin to change the fluid that appears in reservoir tank 2 or 3 times a year, or disconnect lines, in order to change all of it (same applies to power steering?). Best way for change?
    2. Also, I can search the Internet and I think I looked in Service Manual 32 but what happens if the power trim fails at the ramp? Do I need to start carrying tools to disconnect power trim lines? And, if I'm strong enough to pick up the drive, then what? Trailer clips?

1 basic maintenance for the pump is keep the water out of the oil .Unless its milky, just maintain the level.

2 Try to not let that happen . If it does you can remove the 2 lines at the pump, tie a rope around the prop and pull up and tie off, messy though

Remove the nuts holding the rams to the drive, tie a rope around prop, raise up and tie off

So I took the motor apart it's time for a new one the brass bushing is rusted to the shaft and I can't get it loose. Thanks for the info