Logo

Does my 1989 40HP Mercury get too much oil Adjustable

B

Beau Johnston

I think my Mercury is a bit s

I think my Mercury is a bit smelly and smoky - it runs well but in low rews the smoke is annoying and irritating ?Can you adjust the oil flow down or is the motor worn down or??

Beau

" Hi Beau; I would do a compre

" Hi Beau; I would do a compression test first, what is the oil/gas ratio your useing. Let us know "

" Hi Beau; I would do a compre

" Hi Beau; I would do a compression test first, what is the oil/gas ratio your useing.How old is the fuel your useing. Let us know "

Hi Mercury!
The oil/gas rati

Hi Mercury!
The oil/gas ratio??? It is oil injected - and the question was really if the ratio that goes in to the system automatically could be too rich - and/or if the ratio is adjustable on the oil pump.
The fuel is fresh unleaded.

Hit me again - Beau

"Beau,

On the port side of

"Beau,

On the port side of the engine you should be able to locate the oil pump. It is connected to the throttle linkage by a link. The link is attatched to an arm on the pump. The position of this arm determines the amount of oil in the fuel mix. The arm is spring loaded so that if the link is disconnected, you get maximum oil.

I believe there are several variations of this pump, but in order to set the ratio right you have to orientate the arm properly with the body of the pump, with the throttle closed.

Tony"

Thanks Tony - that was exactl

Thanks Tony - that was exactly right - and it helped to put it back together - just like that - so I´m happy again- THANKS TONY

Back