Logo

Replacing 1978 Mercruiser 228hp engines

jobjohnny

We've purchased a 1978 Bertram 28 FBC with original twin Mercruiser 228s. They look like they'll likely need to be replaced (2100-2300 hrs). Any ideas where to pick up rebuilt compatible engines? Is there anything newer that would be an "easy" swap out?

I'd be inclined to get a pair of 350's - should go right back in.....

"Easy" is in the eye of the beholder....one thing to consider is what you have is damn near 40 years old.....so, I'd suggest you consider what you are thinking about.....'easy' may mean spending a bit more and getting complete engines....and don't forget the gears.

Ayuh,.... The 228 is a SBC, a 305 Chevy,....

The 260 is a SBC, a 350 Chevy,... Exactly the same, with a bigger bore, 'n stroke,...

Plug, 'n play swap,....

When I reengined my boat I went from a 283 CID 185HP to a 5.7L 260HP w/FWC. The engine was a few inches taller due to going from log style end fire manifolds to center rise dry joints. IMHO, buy factory new all up engines ( aftermarket FWC if you want to save a few $$) In the course of multiple seasons of ownership of a boat like yours and its likely use, you won't "find" the dollars additional spent for new engines vs rebuilts.

A bit pricey! All you need are a pair of decent, ordinary 350s and that boat will fly.

Have you tried GOOD used engines on the internet? Lots of good engines get removed from bad boats.

Jeff

I'm a little skeptical of the owner's story/claims - i can't believe 15+knots from a couple hundred HP at high speed. Without seeing more detail of his build, can't say. He does understand torque is the key driver, so that's good....

Those engines are merely middle aged, nowhere near death...if you feel you must repower with new, go ahead. I'd first get the engines tested for health; compression and leak-down test. Maybe new or reconditioned heads and a performance cam, a new timing set and you'll easily have your 200 plus HP.

A performance MARINE cam, that is...

Thank you. Took another good look at her yesterday, definitely going to need some work. The starboard Y-pipe is pretty corroded. That being said, she started right up and doesn't sound like a bucket of bolts in a cement mixer so hopeful some cleaning up and rebuilding will be possible. Having a mechanic do a full inspection tomorrow.

We still haven't purchased the boat, hopefully tomorrow we'll have a better idea of exactly what we're getting into. At this age and price, I'm expecting to spend a good amount of money to get her in decent shape. I love the boat, but don't want to make a huge mistake.

Just remember this: They are well loved and treasured boats! A marina/ company in Worton Creek, MD remanufactures the famous 32 footer and sells LOTS of them.

Jeff

Just remember this: They are well loved and treasured boats! A marina/ company in Worton Creek, MD remanufactures the famous 32 footer and sells LOTS of them.

Jeff

I get it! That's why we're somewhat attached to it. That being said, I've read that finding Y Pipes that fit these older Mercruisers might be damn near impossible, making it likely we'll have to have them made. Anyone have any input on that. I've heard nightmare stories of having to spend 5k just to get a custom piece made for an older boat like this.

these are inboards, correct?

If that's the case, there's nothing magic (or Mercruiser) about the exhaust system components (beyond the elbows).....I/o units are a different story.....

Back