Logo

Boat sound system

I am looking to add a decent sound system to my boat and looking for some wiring advice. I have the following equipment, I just have to make it work ...

12” marine Subwoofer 4 ohm 350W
pair marine 6x9’s 500W 4 ohm
pair marine 6,5” speakers 4 ohm
monoblock amp 3250W
7000W 4 ch amp
pair tower speakers 6,5" 2 ohm
pair tower speakers 4" 2 ohm
Sony head unit with 2 wired remotes

I would like to put the sub on the monoblock amp and then wire the speakers with the 4 channel amp, but the tower speakers are 2 ohm and the others 4ohm so that is where it is getting me a bit.
Also should I just power both amps with the same power line from the battery or should I have 2 sets of power line?

I have a dual battery system and a decent alternator so I'm not worried about that, it is the wiring from there, I am not sure if 4 gauge power lines will be sufficient ...?/?

seriously....assuming the amps are rated at input power and you are using a 12VDC source, thats a peak load of over 700 amps!!!

So if you sized for 50% of the peak and made the wire run short enough, you'd need 1/0 or 2/0 ....

As far as the speaker connections, you have to match the load (speakers) to the impedance the amp is designed for....and then size the wire from there....

Please note that the amp values are not RMS .... I thought of maybe using 2 guage and then just use a distribution block at the end, the wire run will only be like 2 meters ....

As long as you have a heavy guage house circuit you should be fine. Add a fuse block if necessary with more circuits and make sure the house circuit is also fused at the battery. You can never have too many fuses on a boat! Use high quality marine grade tinned wire if you pull a circuit from the battery and make sure the hot and ground are the same size. Keep the house circuit separate from the ignition/guage circuit. I add a indicator light on the dash so you know when the master power is on.

Back