Logo

Dock Whip

Has anyone ever try building their own or something similar? OR actually have a bought system that works well?

I would like to know how efficient it is even with a strong tide ...

Anything commercial was once homemade. Most involve long fiberglass rods. You need the dock owners permission in most cases and your design needs to maintain the connection to the dock in all conditions. If you're not handy, buy one.

Luckily I own the dock, I am a mechanical engineer so I want to build my own, I just thought I will eliminate the experimentation phase and get some advice from those who built this themselves ... unfortunately you don't get these to buy in South Africa so I will have to build it myself. I also wanted to find out how effective these are in strong winds, tides and with alot of boat traffic ....

Ayuh,.... I bought the 12' set from iboats this summer to hold my boat off my concrete dock,...

We had flood conditions for 3 months,....
Launched in July, 'n had to walk through calf deep water to get into the tinbarge,...

Anyways,... I like 'em so far,...
The fiberglass poles seem solid enough, 'n the lines in the kit are Nice stuff,...
I busted 1 of the aluminum bases 2nd weekend there,... came in alittle hot, 'n the portside aft corner hit the pole too close to the base,....(due to high water)
I am gonna weld it back together, but haven't yet,...

I found that top-rail chainlink fence pipe is a perfect glove fit for the poles,...
I had the tubin', 'n flat stock, so welded up a pair of steel bases for now,...

I'll fix the busted 1, 'n get 'em swapped out by next summer,...

Incase someone else needs the info, I managed to build myself a set of "wake watchers" figured out the dimensions from pics and videos off the internet, drew up the design as close to spec as possible, ordered the steel and a few springs and built it. It is being galvanised currently so I will post pics when installed. I think it is going to work great and the best part of it all it only cost me a total of $70 US ..... I am happy to share the blueprints if anyone is interested ....

I did yes, but it won't be an option as I already have a floating dock, the reason I want my boat away from any fenders or bumpers is because it is vinyl wrapped so I wanto protect the print from rubbing.

Back