Logo
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Default Yamaha F115A - How to read the instrument?

    Hello guys,

    Can you tell me what the instrument is indicating? I don't have the manual for this instrument, so I cannot check what the symbols mean. However I shot a video, so maybe you can clarify this for me! The trim sensor is broken, so that's why it is all the way up. But I need help to identify the bottom symbols.

    https://youtu.be/x7CWiIPXAhE

  2. #2

    Default Re: Yamaha F115A - How to read the instrument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarrre View Post
    Hello guys,

    Can you tell me what the instrument is indicating? I don't have the manual for this instrument, so I cannot check what the symbols mean. However I shot a video, so maybe you can clarify this for me! The trim sensor is broken, so that's why it is all the way up. But I need help to identify the bottom symbols.

    https://youtu.be/x7CWiIPXAhE

    The 3 symbols at bottom of the tach LCD are oil level indicators. 3 solid bars under each symbol indicates good oil level in both main engine tank and reserve tank. 1 solid bar under far left symbol and 1 blinking bar under middle symbol indicates the oil level in the reserve tank is low. This is the alert you are seeing. Fill your reserve tank with oil and you'll then see 3 solid bars. See the chart below for complete details.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil 1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	16460
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil 2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	16461

  3. #3

    Default Re: Yamaha F115A - How to read the instrument?

    Thank you for your reply ClassicAQ. However I have a 4-stroke, so I don't have any oil tanks except the motor oil.
    I switched engine from a Yamaha V4 2-stroke 130 hp to a Yamaha 115 hp 4-stroke. I changed the instruments and cable betwen instruments and engine, and also the cable between the remote and instruments. However I have the same remote control 703. But I think it is the same remote control for 2-stroke and 4-stroke, right? It is the 10 pin from the remote control to the engine, and it fits both engines.
    Last edited by Sarrre; 09-10-2017 at 05:16 AM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Yamaha F115A - How to read the instrument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarrre View Post
    Thank you for your reply ClassicAQ. However I have a 4-stroke, so I don't have any oil tanks except the motor oil.
    I switched engine from a Yamaha V4 2-stroke 130 hp to a Yamaha 115 hp 4-stroke. I changed the instruments and cable betwen instruments and engine, and also the cable between the remote and instruments. However I have the same remote control 703. But I think it is the same remote control for 2-stroke and 4-stroke, right? It is the 10 pin from the remote control to the engine, and it fits both engines.
    Gotcha. And yes, the 703 remote control can be used with 4 strokes. Yam 4 stroke outboards have the ability to monitor oil pressure. In fact these engines do not monitor oil levels, as the 2 strokes do. The tach your using is the older round multifunction digital tach. This tach does not function to monitor oil pressure, and more importantly, does not activate the low oil pressure alarm. When activated, the engine goes into limp mode (rpm reduction below 2000).

    Take a look at this tach installation guide, page 1. Back of the tach under the small rubber grommet you'll see a set of 3 small switches. When you changed from 2 stroke to 4 stroke did you change the position of switch #3? Also, if the engine is a 2005 or newer, of the two 4 prong square harnesses located engine side, only the male harness is connected. You cap off the unused female harness. If you've connected both this might be the reason the tach is receiving a low oil level signal.
    http://www.mbcboats.com/perfbull/Yam...KitInstall.pdf
    Last edited by ClassicAQ; 09-10-2017 at 07:15 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Yamaha F115A - How to read the instrument?

    Continuing with my last...if your tach does not have the rubber grommet to access the 3 dip switches, then that particular model of tach cannot monitor oil pressure.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Yamaha F115A - How to read the instrument?

    Thank you so much dude!!!
    I just flipped the 3rd switch and now the warnings are gone!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Yamaha F115A - How to read the instrument?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarrre View Post
    Thank you so much dude!!!
    I just flipped the 3rd switch and now the warnings are gone!
    Great news. So now the tach is correctly configured, if low oil pressure is detected the left bar will flash, fyi.

Similar Threads

  1. Instrument wiring
    By Mharms in forum Johnson Evinrude Outboard Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2017, 11:48 PM
  2. 2012 Yamaha F70 4 stroke dies Instrument panel dark
    By torbau in forum Yamaha Outboard Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-20-2016, 01:10 AM
  3. Only One Instrument
    By Cadwelder in forum Miscellaneous marine engine topics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 03:55 AM
  4. Instrument Panel
    By skisupremeED in forum Miscellaneous marine engine topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 11:41 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 02:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •