Logo

290 steering yoke frozen

old bird

The steering was so tite you could hardly turn the wheel. The steering arm bolt was froze to the arm, got that cut off and got the arm loose on spline. (engine is out) now the yoke aint moving, won't turn, and sure not dropping out.
I guess I'm just asking for some suggestion on what to try and what NOT TO DO ! I'll put heat but not sure where to. and not to.
1968 Chris Craft Lancer
AQ271 1987 and I think a 290 drive with trim sending unit that goes down thru the steering yoke.

Since it is already frozen and probably no good, line up everything to be replaced, yoke, bushings, seals, etc. Heat, Kroil, brass punches, time and patience. Lack of properly greasing yoke on regular intervals. See this often. Be careful and don't damage the transom shield.

Try some power steering fluid as a liquid wrench it works excellent for corrosion between stainless and aluminum. You probably need a new helm and cable is it rotary or rack?

Disconnect the steering helmet from the drive ( single bolt top of drive) to see if the yoke or the drive pivot is frozen.

I believe that what you are calling a "yoke" is actually the "Collar Steering Fork".
If so, two plastic bushings support and center this part in the transom shield.

When water gets between the bushings and the bushing ears, the aluminum begins to corrode.
The corrosion eventually expands and squeezes at the outer area causing the two bushing surfaces to tighten up on the shaft.
This is what causes the "stiff steering" in many cases.
Greasing the bushings will typically not help much.

Remove the helmet from the collar steering fork...... get it out of your way.
Heating the fork may help..... you'll be replacing the two bushings anyway.

Do NOT use Oxy-Acet heat!!!!!!!

DO NOT beat against the top of the shaft.
....... you will expand it making things worse!

I have often been able to remove stubborn ones by driving wooden wedges (wedges on both Port and Stbd sides) into the area just above the fork and below the transom shield.
Steady/even force will eventually allow it to begin dropping down and out.

Good luck.

Last edited:
GOT IT !! Wooden wedges were the key. Got to be some hardwood and a big hammer.
Thanks again,
I'll be back for help to put it together.

Make sure that you force plenty of marine grease into the fitting at the bottom of the drive steering pivot shaft. I've had this apart on my drive and I will tell you, this is a marginally designed greasing system. Next to a frozen yoke, failure of this lower bearing is the next biggest reason 200 series drives won't turn... and getting that apart when frozen is.... interesting. No easy "wedge equivalent" solution.

Back