Logo

Tohatsu TLDI md50a 2001 / Fuel dripping from air intake into tps sensor

jakob j

Hi

I have had quite a struggle with my engine. It behaves really strange from time to time. Last season a had these issues:

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...50a-3-lights-blinking&highlight=tldi+blinking

I thought I solved the problem by adjusting the throttle cable against the stop and reset the tps sensor. This season the problem appeared again and reset hasn't worked. Last time we were on the water it was making different strange things. Lights blinking, warning sounds, rpm increasing suddenly but no change in speed of the boat (like propel was slipping in the water or rubber in the propel is worn), etc.

I checked the cabeling and found it alright.

Therefore I have purchased a new tps sensor and installed it today. Sofar I don't know if it is going to finally solve my problems but I noticed something. When I pump the ball on the fuel line it starts dripping fuel directly into the tps sensor from the air intake right above.

Is that normal?

It still says it's a problem with the tps sensor. Maybe the old tps sensor failed because fuel was dripping into it.

I haven't been on the water with the new sensor. Just want to prevent that it's ruined before I get so far.

Cylinder compression could possibly overpressurize the VST when the FFP is off, but aside from that, there should not be any fuel drips. Look for a bad hose, gasket, etc. If you can see drips, you should be able to find the source of the leak.

Weather is really bad for the moment with storm and heavy rain so I haven't done anything yet. Anyway I have spent some time reading my Seloc repair manual. Especially about the fuel system. I now understand that the VST is working as a reservoir for the FFP and it has a built in float like a carburetor. If this needle isn't tight then where is the fuel lead to? If it's lead anywhere except for being forced through the FFP pump.

I'm not sure what you mean about the compression in the cylinder? When I pump the ball the engine is off and no compression has yet been built up.

The VST is a reservoir to allow the fuel vapors to leave. The FFP is the high pressure pump, and that draws from the VST. The VST does work like a carb float. When full, no fuel should go anywhere. The FFP will pressurize the high pressure fuel rail based on the pressure regulator.

Back