Logo

Thread: trim motor

Default trim motor

Yesterday my trim motor kept running in down pos. 02 ox66 TXRZ 150hp. Disconnected trim motor from solenoid, kept fishing. Got back to dock, reconnected, worked fine. Change solenoid? Down works off trailer switch always, intermittent from throttle control but switch checks out ok. 2 different connections on solenoid. 1 keeper fluke.

Default Re: trim motor

Sticky thumb switch on the throttle? When it was constantly running tilt down did you try to trim up with the thumb switch and see if it would stop the down tilt running and start it trimming up? I am guessing both the thumb switch and the switch on the engine engage the same solenoid so if it works without issue with the switch on the engine something is going on with the switch on the throttle. Maybe others can confirm what I'm thinking?

Default Re: trim motor

Quote Originally Posted by deepsea21 View Post
    Sticky thumb switch on the throttle? When it was constantly running tilt down did you try to trim up with the thumb switch and see if it would stop the down tilt running and start it trimming up? I am guessing both the thumb switch and the switch on the engine engage the same solenoid so if it works without issue with the switch on the engine something is going on with the switch on the throttle. Maybe others can confirm what I'm thinking?
    This ^^^ is a valid suggestion. If all checks out with the engine side wiring, the control lever switch is most likely the culprit. If this is the case, the contact points in the lever switch can become corroded, which can cause sticking or circuit failure. The control lever disassembly is simple and straightforward. Get yourself a parts blow out as a guide. Once you've got the thumb rocker switch out, it has a rubber oval grommet that needs to be carefully peeled back to access the contact points. Using very small screwdrivers helps to peel back rubber, like the ones used to repair eye glasses. Pull the points, clean with wire brush and some electronics spray. Reinstall. Like new.