Logo

1959 Mercury Kiekhafer Mark 6 spits fuel

blaseko

Have had this motor for years but haven't run it. Restarted fine after 15 years idle but noticed that fuel spits out the tube below the motor. I had originally thought the fuel was from exhaust . This was the original problem it had when I first mothballed it. What is that tube for and should fuel spit from it regularly or is it symptomatic of a carb/ reed issues.
thanks in advnace

Is it the pulse tube for the fuel pump? It could be a combination of the pulse tube leaking and the fuel pump diaphram has a hole. The diaphram part number 22934 you can get at vintageoutboard.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it. What is the function of the pulse tube? The tube I'm referring to is open on one end.

It must be the bleeder tube my guess is it allows the raw fuel/oil in the crankcase to drain out but am just guessing. On later model they had a recirculate tube that pushes the oil that settles in the lower crank bearing and puts in the upper part of the crankcase. It is possible the engine is flooding and just draining out the bleeder?

Yes I finally found a good diagram and it is the cylinder block bleeder tube where the gas is spitting from. Not sure why is it spitting. It doesn't appear to be flooding perhaps the float is stuck and excess fuel is being pumped into the inlet?? Does it have a check on it? One is not shown on the diagram.
Thanks for your insight. I think I'll be cleaning the carb.

Get a carb kit and a new float float part number 1395-8673 and carb kit #1395-9258A1. I couldnt find the kit here but is availabe on ebay all you can find is the needle and seat here and the float bowl gasket. To pull the jets you will likely need to grind a larger screwdriver in to just fit inside the threads they are in pretty tight. I use a light bead of thread locker on the emulsion tube just take it completely apart except the butterfly soak it in carb cleaner and blast the circuits with high pressure water. The spring on top of the float is the normal cause of a over rich condition. Lightly surface the carb flange on a glass table with 220 grit paper pulling in one direction only and allways install a new carb gasket. Just pull the carb down snug and even do not overtighten it.

Soaked and rebuilt the carb with a new kit and installed a new float, but this did not solve the problem or change the amount of fuel coming out. Coincidentally bought another 6A recently that I was going salvage parts off of, and it started easily but also spits fuel. I'm seriously thinking of just putting a collection line on the tube until I find a solution. Now that I have two motors I may crack open one to see if there is a check or spring and ball that regulates the flow thru that tube(nothing on the parts list). I did spray some Sea Foam deep creep in the tube but that did not change things

Try dropping the float level a 1/16 inch at a time. I clamp the carb in a vise when I do this and pressure it up with my test tank.

Jeff

I wonder if you can recycle it into the upper part of the crankcase. All you would need is a check valve, nipple and a small fuel line. The reeds are in the center main bearing on the crank you would need to drill and thread a hole close to the top bearing and thread the bottom hole, put the check valve on the upper hole and the nipple on the bottom hole. The raw fuel mix will migrate up into the upper part of the crankcase and get burnt up. Go to mercury 35hp 2cyl serial number 6445653 up and look at the cylinder block and thermostat diagram. It gives you part numbers for the nipple and check valve.

I have done stuff like that without tearing it apart just dip the drill bit and tap in axle grease to catch the shavings just go slow and wipe the bit and keep plenty of grease on it. You only need about three-four good threads then seal them with loctite.

Back