Logo

1999 3.0 Volvo sounds like an old-school hit & miss engine

I just had all fluids changed and the engine gone through to make sure it was in good shape. Today, I was riding around and I started hearing an air noise from the engine that sounded like and old-school hit & miss engine. The engine also sounded like it may have valve chatter.
Any ideas with whats up?

P.S., the Volvo 3L blocks are the same as Merc, right?

I plugged off the little coolant hose that runs to the riser and hooked a pressure tester up to the coolant hose going into the manifold. All the air I am pumping in is exiting out of the exhaust. Any ideas? What next?

I also pressure tested the block with the manifold and rider out of the loop. It held 20 psi overnight, so no block issues.

I am removing the manifold. I have already removed the riser. The exhaust pipe is directly in front of the back bolt for the manifold. The exhaust pipe runs under the engine and, I assume, connects to the lower unit housing. I cannot see the end it is so far below the engine, and therefore, do not see how I can remove it. Am I missing something here? Surely I do not have to remove the engine to pull the manifold.

Checkout the pic. IMG_0915.jpg

So I double nutted it and broke the stud loose, but now even the stud is hitting the exhaust pipe. How long are these studs? Am I going to have to remove the entire head to remove the manifold?

Back