Logo

Hi everyone. Mercury 25hp 2stroke year identification

samsomewhere

Hi everyone.
New to the forum here. First mercury Outboard I've owned and been happy with it. I was sold it and told it was a 2003 although I don't think it is.
Number on the engine block is 872-9076-C9.
Tye serial number on the core plug is 9902655.
I can't find much information with that though.
Hopefully someone here can help
Thanks

If your motor was built by Merc (Belgium) then you have a 1996 model.

Because Merc does not "encode" a model year into the serial number it could have been sold in almost any year after it was built as a "brand new, this years model" provided there was not a modification to the model.

With many of the portable Merc's they were (unchanged) between their introduction in 1986 or 1987 and mid-1994. Then from mid-94 until they went out of production, again there was little to no significant changes.

That was good for Merc dealers because they didn't have to discount "last years model".

So while your model came off the production line in 1996, if it sat (unlikely) until 2003 it could have been sold as a "brand new model" because it "mechanically" was no different then one that came off the line in 2003.

Thanks for your reply Graham. That's definitely helped me out. Is there any problems with these motors or anything too look out for on them. It's had a gear box replacement at some point as it's a different colour but it pumps water well and starts easily. Thanks again

These are excellent little motors. The whole post 1986 line from 6 to 25 horse was outstanding. Excellent ignitions, good carbs - pretty solid builds and at least for now, the parts support is still excellent.

As they age the "typical" issues become coils (they develop very fine cracks and start bleeding power), upper main seal (under the flywheel - so access is at least decent) - the design lends it's to fail after a number of years - a little circular spring around the crank shaft, connected to the race (cup) by a rubber membrane. The rubber rots or dies of old age and you lose some air/fuel/oil out of the leaking seal - shows up as an oily mess coming from under the flywheel. But again, good access and the seal is cheap - just pull the old out, tap a new one in and your good to go.

Other somewhat common issues I have seen on the portables - gaskets - power head base gaskets blowing, usually on the front end (below the carb - seal between the powerhead and the (leg) exhaust housing) - not "uncommon" but not "common" either. Transfer cover (intake side) gaskets blow as well - again, not unheard of but not super common.

The two "biggies" seem to be the coils and upper crank seal and more often when the motor gets to be over 20 years old.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Graham. That's definitely helped me out. Is there any problems with these motors or anything too look out for on them. It's had a gear box replacement at some point as it's a different colour but it pumps water well and starts easily. Thanks again.
Sorry for my massive delay in replying. Had to have spinal surgery

Back