Logo

1981 merc 25 hp will not start

Kevinbr

Hi. I have a 25 hp outboard that will not start. I have had the carb rebuilt, new starter, new plugs, plug wires and coils. Compression checked good. New impeller installed last year. Also had thermostat added during the carb rebuild. Started and backed out from the dock, and it died. Has not started since. I am at a loss for what it could be now! Any suggestions?

I suggest you see if it has spark. Pull a plug, hook it to the ignition wire and ground the plug to the block, then have someone crank her over.

Jeff

I suggest you see if it has spark. Pull a plug, hook it to the ignition wire and ground the plug to the block, then have someone crank her over.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I get spark from both plugs. I can start it with starter fluid, but it won't stay running
Kevin

Last edited:
If you can run it on starter fluid then you have either a fuel problem or carb problem. Don't use starter fluid it is bad for 2 strokes. Make sure the gas tank has good fuel in it and that it is clean. Then make sure there is fuel in the carb bowl. Then try to start it. If you can not start it the its time to take the carb off an clean it. By cleaning it I mean take it apart blow compressed air into every part of the carb. Take the jets out clean it with a strand of wire. then reassemble with new gaskets.

Thanks Matt. I will empty the tank and put fresh gas in. Carb was just rebuilt in the beginning of summer. It's a new tank, line and primer ball this summer also. I disconnected the line at the carb and pumped the ball. There is gas getting to the carb inlet. However, if the gas doesn't work, might have to clean. Thanks for the suggestions. I am frustrated as hell. Thanks Kevin

I had a 9.9 I had to take apart 3 times before I found the one spec that was stopping gas from coming. Just make sure its really clean. There was a police of trash in mine under the needle

Back