Logo
Click for Nissan Tohatsu Manuals, and Parts!

Default Tohatsu Remote Control Throttle design/ adjustment/ wear/ maintenance ?

I have a 1991 M30A3 with remote throttle and the remote control lever will take and hold a full throttle
    condition until the boat speeds up and gets on plane and then when I throttle back to something like
    4800 or 5000 rpms for permanent cruising the rpms will bleed off slowly over the next minute down
    to a speed that is below min planing speed. So what I have to do is constantly manipulate the
    throttle just like the accelerator in a car floorboard to maintain a sub redline cruise speed.

I have not seen any literature about the design or construction or maintenance of the Tohatsu
    remote control throttle and transmission unit but it seems like there ought to be a way to
    tighten it up to hold rpms at whatever I set the lever to.

Is this possible and is there any detail descriptive workshop or repair manuals for these units ?

What is he best course of action here.

Thanks
    Scott in Atlanta

Default Re: Tohatsu Remote Control Throttle design/ adjustment/ wear/ maintenance ?

Depending on the actual part number (or at least model) of the RC box, there is a throttle friction screw to do just that. If the motor was tiller-converted, and the tiller handle is still attached, you can also adjust the friction on the tiller handle.
    Paul
    Buffalo NY USA

Default Re: Tohatsu Remote Control Throttle design/ adjustment/ wear/ maintenance ?

here are photos of my control box. I called Tohatsu.com and spoke to a tech and he said that
    a knob protuded out of the front of the box that could be turned for friction adjustment. My control
    box does NOT have a knob but there is a plastic plug that does not look like it was intended
    to be removed from the outside. I would have to drill a hole in it and insert a screw to grab it
    to pull out. I wonder maybe if I should take the covers off the control box by removing several
    phillips head screws instead of drilling a hole and screwing in a screw in the plastic plug?

I can understand an entire marketing and distribution network being dismantled and losing
    a lot of documentation ( if something like that happened in the USA) but there is no way
    the guys in Japan could lose the manuals and drawings from the older products. Does anyone
    speak Japanese ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	@_162247.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	16423   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	@_163512.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	16424   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	@_162623.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	16425  

Your control is not equipped with the throttle friction screw. You should be able to add it. You will need items 40, 41, and 42 from the picture:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002-21024-4_FIG02.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	16426
    Paul
    Buffalo NY USA