Logo

Question about DP-C1 drive

About 7 years ago I was able to replace my PDS bearing, U joints and shift shaft seal etc. with the info I obtained from this forum and my Seloc book. Everything went almost exactly as it should have with the exception of the rolling torque value setting. Although it hasn't caused a problem in 400 hrs., now that it's time (or past time) to do it all again I want to do it right this time. I remember taking a torque reading before taking the double bearing box apart so I would have a reference. Can't remember what the reading was but it was within specs. but on the low side. I tried to increase the rolling torque value slightly when I put it back together but it would not change no matter how much I tightened the torx/allen (?) screw. Since it was still within specs. I put it back together and have had no problems. Question - if the same thing happens this time should I replace the crush sleeve even if the RTV is within specs. and if so can it be done without a press ?

About 7 years ago I was able to replace my PDS bearing, U joints and shift shaft seal etc. with the info I obtained from this forum and my Seloc book.
That would be bearing crosses and eccentric piston seal.

Everything went almost exactly as it should have with the exception of the rolling torque value setting. Although it hasn't caused a problem in 400 hrs., now that it's time (or past time) to do it all again I want to do it right this time. I remember taking a torque reading before taking the double bearing box apart so I would have a reference. Can't remember what the reading was but it was within specs. but on the low side. I tried to increase the rolling torque value slightly when I put it back together but it would not change no matter how much I tightened the torx/allen (?) screw. Since it was still within specs. I put it back together and have had no problems. Question - if the same thing happens this time should I replace the crush sleeve even if the RTV is within specs. and if so can it be done without a press ?

OK..... the DP-C1 suggests V-6 or V-8 power.
With this power, and with now an additional 400 hours on the transmission, I would be looking at and/or replacing the 30207 and 31307 bearings.

If these are replaced, you will want to go with a fresh OEM rolling torque value.

Thank you for the quick reply! You are right, as always, the boat is powered by a V-8 (5.7L). The drive has about 1300 hrs. on it and I'm pretty sure that nothing outside of regular maintenance plus the items listed above has been done to it. It had 900 hrs. on it when I replaced the PDS, bearing crosses etc. This speaks well of Volvo quality. To check the 30207 and 31307 bearings (I'm assuming these are the ones in the bearing box that hold the u-joint shaft) is it necessary to take the BB completely apart or can they be checked by feel, looseness, end play etc. ? Also is there anything else you would suggest I check while it is apart? Thanks

Back