Logo

Default 1974 Grady White w/1988 Johnson VRO 70hp

Hello,
    I just picked up my first boat and had an issue on the maiden voyage. The engine would stall after 1500rpm, but in neutral it would rev all the way no problem. After 3hrs of trying everything I went home. The fuel mixture was mixed at 50:1. When I got the home I hooked up the muffs revved her up and put in gear and it worked perfectly. She starts right up and sounds strong in the driveway. I asked the previous owner if he had experienced this and he said if that happens to hold the key in while pushing down the throttle. I'm taking her out again this weekend. Carb issue? Sould I try seamfoam?

Default Re: 1974 Grady White w/1988 Johnson VRO 70hp

I also replaced the fuel filter and made sure it was primed.

Revving up on muffs means NOTHING as there is no load on the motor. Try pumping the primer ball on the fuel line see if that makes a difference in how it runs. You may need to clean the carbs properly by taking them off and giving them a good cleaning. Also put new rebuild kits in them.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingscott View Post
    Revving up on muffs means NOTHING as there is no load on the motor. Try pumping the primer ball on the fuel line see if that makes a difference in how it runs. You may need to clean the carbs properly by taking them off and giving them a good cleaning. Also put new rebuild kits in them.
    Ok, I will try that In the near future. I ran some seafoam thru tonight for about 15minutes and then lightly revved her up. When you say it has no load with the muffs on, does that mean when I put into gear there is no load?

Ok, when I was having trouble on the water I had my bud pump the ball didn't make a difference though. I will try cleaning carb in the near future. I ran some seafoam thru tonight for about 15minutes and then lightly revved her up. When you say it has no load with the muffs on, does that mean when I put into gear there is no load?

Unless the boat is in the water and physically pushing the boat there is no load on the motor. On muffs a motor running on 1 cylinder will rev up just fine. Also do a compression and spark test. The only way to properly clean the carb is dis assembly and a thorough cleaning. Maybe the mod will move this to the Johnson/evinrude main forum.
    Last edited by flyingscott; 08-30-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Unless the boat is in the water and physically pushing the boat there is no load on the motor. On muffs a motor running on 1 cylinder will rev up just fine. Also do a compression and spark test. The only way to properly clean the carb is dis assembly and a thorough cleaning. Maybe the mod will move this to the Johnson/evinrude main forum.
    Did the compression test today and got a consistent reading.
    cylinder#1: 102
    cylinder#2: 109
    cylinder#3: 110

Cylinder #1 and 2 had a small amount of oil on threads and appeared to running a little rich on the plugs. I bought the rebuild kit for the carbs today and waiting for them to come in.