Logo

Volvo dp d1 seals

wellcraft26

Contributing Member
I'm replacing the outer shaft seals in my dp d1, they were so bad that they came out in pieces and now I'm not sure how to put the new ones back in there. I'm trying to attach a picture of the way I believe it's supposed to go but for some reason I can't get it to work.

Any ideas, any help would be great.

Thanks

Yes.... the two FWD prop shaft seals (the large seals) are the same, and they install with the lip and tension spring aiming opposite from one another.
On the oil side..... the lip and tension spring faces FWD towards the gear oil.
On the water side...... the lip and tension spring face AFT.

The AFT propeller shaft seals (the smaller seals) are different!
Use caution here..... and make sure to install them correctly!

Make dang sure that you re-install the FWD and AFT propeller spacers/washers. Severe damage will occur if you do not!

Yes.... the two FWD prop shaft seals (the large seals) are the same, and they install with the lip and tension spring aiming opposite from one another.
On the oil side..... the lip and tension spring faces FWD towards the gear oil.
On the water side...... the lip and tension spring face AFT.

The AFT propeller shaft seals (the smaller seals) are different!
Use caution here..... and make sure to install them correctly!

Make dang sure that you re-install the FWD and AFT propeller spacers/washers. Severe damage will occur if you do not!

OK, i did the 2 smaller seal with success as I have the special tool, with the bigger ones I installed the inner one all the way in and the outer one is flush with the lip of the housing, should I push it in a bit more, is it OK if is flush with the lip of the housing or all the way in until it make contact with the inner one.

Not sure if there should be space between the 2.

Thank for the help.

Let me clarify, I have the special tool for the smaller seals, not for the bigger ones, for those I used a big socket and pressed on the inner seal until it made contact with the bearings, the outer seal is flush with the lip of the housing. Does this sound right?

When you referred to the spacer/washer, do u mean the thick one?

When you referred to the spacer/washer, do u mean the thick one?

There is a spacer type washer that will be installed in front of (towards the bow) of each propeller.

The FWD prop spacer is internally splined so that it will pass over the splinned portion of the FWD prop shaft. This spacer stops against a shoulder.
The FWD prop's thrust is placed against this spacer.

The AFT prop spacer is not splined. It too will be stopped by a shoulder.
The AFT prop's thrust is placed against this spacer.

Both must be installed, or you will cause damage.

OK, I just went to check as I remember 1 thick washer but nothing else. I remember removing the cone, then the prop then the rear prop and last the thick washer and that is what I actually have there, I need to order some parts, should I just go ahead and order that other spacer?

Last edited:
I just watched several videos and they don't even have the washer, they do have 2 covers behind each prop, mine didn't even have that. Wonder if that all depends which model is it. Mine is what I believe a 2003 dp d1, not sure if that makes any difference.

Btw, in the ID tag it shows as a 1.78 but it has 1.68 gears instead, at least that's what the part number shows from the engraved number in the outer shaft.looking at the exploded view from the UK site and I see the spacers and covers but mine didn't have any of that when I removed both props.

Hey Ricardo, sorry for all the questions but now I'm confuse and concern about what you said as mine don't have some of the parts and Also, by looking at the exploded view, I see a shim or shims in front of the bearing from the outer shaft, mine didn't have them either. It looks like I'm missing parts from the exploded view, they are #26, #40, #46 and #45, here is the link https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7749309-44-10821.aspx

Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it as I was going to order some parts and I want to add whatever is need it in there.

You must mean 36 not 26 is the shims behind the front bearing.

So the shim #26 goes behind the bearing? If that is the case that explains why I didn't see any shim. I've been looking for the front spacer and can find it, but I don't recall seen it either. Would it be possible that it got stuck in the front propeller?

I had them in my car for a few days and then took it to a shop to get them fix, wonder it they could have it if it was stuck in the prop. I don't really recall seen that spacer.
If not, I'm going to have to suck it up and pay the $50 for a stupid washer.

Hey Ricardo, sorry for all the questions but now I'm confuse and concern about what you said as mine don't have some of the parts and Also, by looking at the exploded view, I see a shim or shims in front of the bearing from the outer shaft, mine didn't have them either.
Let's make sure that we're talking FORE and AFT when discussing this.
The shims (SEQ# 26) are AFT of the 184765 prop shaft bearing..... not in Front of the bearing!
These shims control the rolling torque or preload value.
You will not see these shims unless you have the Hypoid Gear work experience and/or were to disassemble this area!

It looks like I'm missing parts from the exploded view, they are #26,
Question.... why are you into this area?

#40, #46 and #45, here is the link
https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7749309-44-10821.aspx
Without these parts, the propeller cannot be mounted.

You must mean 36 not 26 is the shims behind the front bearing.

So the shim #26 goes behind the bearing? If that is the case that explains why I didn't see any shim. I've been looking for the front spacer and can find it, but I don't recall seen it either. Would it be possible that it got stuck in the front propeller?
Yes!

I had them in my car for a few days and then took it to a shop to get them fix, wonder it they could have it if it was stuck in the prop.
These are expens$ve $pacer$...... I would re-trace my steps and ask the shop!

I don't really recall seeing that spacer.
Like I alluded to earlier.......... if the FWD prop spacer had been omitted, your prop shaft bearing carrier would have been damaged.

If not, I'm going to have to suck it up and pay the $50 for a stupid washer.
There are two (2) of these.
One for the FWD prop and one for the AFT prop..... each is very different from the other!

Attachments

• Duo Prop spacers  line cutters 2 .jpg
    Duo Prop spacers line cutters 2 .jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 40
Thanks ricardo, I do have thexperience bigger one, I'm missing the smaller spacer. I checked in y suv and couldn't find it. I'm going to the house were I removed the props to see if it's there if not I'm going to the prop shop tomorrow and try there. If not, I'll hAve to order that sucker unfortunately. At this point I'm sure that spacer most be stocked in the prop and lost it somewhere.

Back