Logo

prop shaft replacement 35Hp Johnson

Had an earlier post dealing with the removal of the prop shaft on a 1976 35Hp Johnson (model 35E76G). With some help I have replaced the clutch dog and now hitting a roadblock with putting everything back together.

forward gear roller bearing and forward gear are back in. My issue is now getting the dog clutch cradle and shift lever back in along with the prop shaft.

I have the lower unit propped up so I am looking down into the housing. When I assemble the shaft, cradle and lever altogether and go to install it, there is no room. Either the lever will catch against the housing or the shaft will catch against the drive shaft pinon. I have tried every angle on the lever but just no joy.

I have also tried placing the lever in first then attempting to place the prop shaft in but it will not catch onto the dog clutch cradle.

Is there a trick to placing it all back in? I've looked at the drive shaft pinion but (as far as I can tell) there is no way to have that out, put everything in then put the pinion back in.

any and all help is appreciated

Move the clutch dog as far back on the detent (to the forward gear)as you can without losing the balls. Now put the cradle on the clutch dog and make sure it is in the slot. You may need a screw driver to help you. Now put the shaft in and you should have just enough room for the cradle to drop in the slot. Make sure the ears and gear mesh between the two once it is in, install the bolt. Then assemble the rest.

There is a ring on one side of the clutch dog that must face toward the forward gear. Assemble the clutch on the shaft and put the detents in neutral and put grease on the cradle to hold it in the clutch. set the shift fork in place and install the shaft and clutch so the fork lines up with the saddle and with a screwdriver snap the fork into the saddle very important. line the hole for the pivot pin up and install it tight. Put in the reverse gear and then install the yoke and screw the shift shaft down and then point the bend toward the driveshaft, install the pin and keeper for the yoke and the shift lever. The two gear thrust washers are different make sure you get them in the right place.

ok, I get what you are saying. The problem is that there is barely any space to back off the clutch dog ( lots of "almost there" and swearing trying to do that ). I did manage to find the sweet spot a few times but the lever keeps hitting the housing. Even with the slightest nudge causes the clutch dog to come off and the bearings and spring pop out.

I think this will just continue to be a trial and error until I find that perfect angle for it all to slide into place. Or I lose my mind, which ever comes first.

appreciate the advice, you've been a huge help!

Do you have the pivot pin in the shift fork? Just set the shift fork in place and install the shaft and dog and cradle. carefully line up the fork into the cradle and pry up to snap in place then install the pivot pin or the phillips screw into the hole on the fork then you can install the rest of the parts.

whoa ok. You're saying the shift fork/lever goes in first along with the pivot pin and then put the prop shaft in?

I have been trying to put in the prop shaft in with the cradle and shift lever already attached. I tried putting the fork in first when I started doing this, but could never get the fork ends into the cradle afterwards

I am just going by what they say in my manual. It says put the shift fork in do not install the pivot pin then install the shaft, clutch in neutral and cradle. put some grease on the cradle to hold it in the clutch. The machined ring on one side of the clutch goes toward the forward gear. once you line the fork up with the saddle pry up to snap them together then install the pivot pin. It says use a skinny screwdriver to put the fork into the saddle.

ok. should have waited for your reply. I did all that except I put the pivot pin in first then tried to pry up the forks into the cradle. I ended up pulling the clutch off the shaft enough that the spring and bearings popped out.

I'll try to do the same thing minus the pivot pin and see if that has any success. My job for tomorrow.

Back