Logo
Click for Honda Manuals, Parts and Model Guides!

Default 90 hp Honda engine oil leaking out of breather when tilted

When the motor is tilted, it leaks oil out of the crank case breather tube. The breather tube is the 90 degree metal tube mounted beside the oil filter on the block. It takes overnight to accumulate an oil spill. About 1/4 cup of oil leaks out. Engine oil level is at about the half way mark on the stick. Oil is totally clean, no water or fuel contamination. Any ideas why this is happening and what can I do to fix this?

Default Re: 90 hp Honda engine oil leaking out of breather when tilted

Quote Originally Posted by Island Mariner View Post
    When the motor is tilted, it leaks oil out of the crank case breather tube. The breather tube is the 90 degree metal tube mounted beside the oil filter on the block. It takes overnight to accumulate an oil spill. About 1/4 cup of oil leaks out. Engine oil level is at about the half way mark on the stick. Oil is totally clean, no water or fuel contamination. Any ideas why this is happening and what can I do to fix this?
    I had the same problem mine was the oil drain plug not tight letting water in to the oil sump overfilling the engine
    Probably not your issue but I did route a line off the vent and stuck it in a hole I drilled in the top of the plastic carb air intake forming a loop like a pee trap on a sink, you might have a slight overfill issue if this doesn't fix it