Logo

NS5B Sometimes Won't Give Full Power

SteveRI

Yesterday I operated my Nissan 2-stroke, 5 horsepower (NS5B) for about an hour, and for most of the time it ran as well as, maybe even better than, any time in the past 8 years.

A few times yesterday, however, when I would bring the motor to full throttle, the power would be about 1/2 of what the engine is capable of. The sound and speed were noticeably different. Then, after anywhere from maybe 100 to 500 yards of travel, it would return to full output.

I've considered the possibility this is because the boat (which is heavy for a 5 horsepower) was taking a long time to get up on plane, but I'm reasonably confident that is not the case, especially because sometimes in the past this situation would occur the whole time the boat was underway.

Last week I went through a fair amount of maintenance tasks on this motor (changed lower unit oil, removed old gas from tank, and replaced it with fresh gas and oil, replaced kill switch, inspected and lubed prop shaft, changed fuel filter, and sparkplug, and added some Sea Foam to the fuel in case there might be some carbon buildup in the carburetor).

Any ideas on the cause or a solution? Thanks for any input

It sounds like there is a lack of fuel at wide-open-throttle.
Probably due to a plugged main jet in the carburetor.
You can carefully take the carburetor apart and clean it.
Any particles or varnish in the float bowl should be removed as they
might plug the jet. Just note carefully how it came apart and
don't lose any parts.

Usually a fuel issue. Seafoam may not be your friend here. It's mostly mineral spirits. If you need to de-carbon, use the OMC spray product.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look for the OMC product again. West Marine did not carry it. If it's still clogged then I will try to do the carb clean

High speed jet, soak in carb cleaner and blow with compressed air, use thin guitar string to make sure holes are unclogged ....
If wanting to clean the carb, Use carb dip for 4 hours, then blow-out liberally with generic spray carb cleaner. NEVER push any kind of wire into any passage in any carb.

Back