Logo

1987 85 hp force - rough idle and only 2500 rpm at WOT

ScottAndrew

All,
I have 1987 85 hp force that has always run perfectly. The other day (the first time I ran it this year) I was on the river and cruising at 35 mph at 5000rpm. I ran into some wakes and got bounced around a little and throttled down. When I went to pick back up the motor would max out at 2500 rpm and about 8mph. After limping back to the dock the motor also idled rough...it will rev up and then clunk...repeatedly. It still starts immediately and idles smooth for the first 30 seconds and then gets rough. It still will not exceed 8 mph at WOT. Since then I have checked the compression which was 120 ish on all three cylinders and all three cylinders are getting spark. I took off the carb cover and sprayed gas into each cylinder while it was running to check for any change. When I sprayed continuously into the middle carb it seemed to smooth out. Since then I have taken the carb off and given it a thorough cleaning but when I put it back on there was no change in performance. I am perplexed since it was running so well right up to this point. If anyone has any additional ideas I would greatly appreciate it. I currently have the fuel pump off and found no tears in the diaphragm but I will change it anyway. Thank you in advance!!

Scott

Spark check?
Check all the cable and wire connections.
Trigger wires are thin and break easily.

outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures.

UPDATE: Well...it was the bottom carb. It had fuel pouring out of the side of the bowl (should have noticed that...) the gasket had crumbled and was all through the bowl and in the jets. I replaced the carb and it took off!! Thank you!!

Back