Logo

35 HP Johnson OB

hoping for some help.

I am currently working on two motors and I am beyond green when it comes to repairs. Both are my first motors and I'm hoping to get them both up and running.

Main issue is with a 1976 35hp (model 35E76G).

I am trying to replace the dog clutch. I have the lower unit off, drive shaft out, bearing housing removed and retaining ring out. Now I'm stuck. I cannot figure out how to remove the shifter yoke in order to get the prop shaft out. I can see the yoke is held in place by the shift rod (correct name?) and a pin (shift lever pin) on the opposite side. The pin is held in place by a cotter pin that is beyond small and I cannot get in there to remove it. Is there something I'm missing?

Second motor is a 1977 35hp (model 35E77H)

The power pack went on this one so while I was pulling my hair out with regards to the '76 motor I had a (beer induced) bright idea that I could take the lower unit from the '77 and use it on the '76. It did go in with relative ease, the forward/neutral/reverse are a bit funky but I am manually moving the prop at this time, not using it under power as I do not have water muffs.

Question.....should I even attempt to put water to it and run it? I can't see why it would not work but hoping to get a more level headed response before I (potentially) ruin two motors.

any and all info is greatly appreciated

The shift rod needs to be removed from the yoke. The yoke only hooks onto the pin so it should just lift out once the rod is removed. You do not need to remove the pin and cotter key. I can get pics if you need them

ok so i have the shift rod removed but the yoke is still clipped in. When I pull up/back on the prop shaft the yoke is not moving making it impossible to remove the prop shaft.

You said the yoke is clipped in at the bottom? Not sure how I can unhinge it.

Last edited:
success. I forgot about the pivot pin.

So my main goal was to replace the dog clutch. When I pulled the prop shaft and removed the old clutch I noticed a single ball bearing laying down there. I assumed it came from the small bearing ring that sits behind the gear but it looks too big and after inspecting the bearing ring it looks to be fine. Any idea where this would come from?

Probably one of the balls from the shift detent. There are 2 of them and they sit in the shaft under the shift dog and there should be a spring in there to.

Last edited:
perfect, got it. did a search for the engine diagram and i see them listed there.

Thanks for the help. Have it all apart now. Will see if I can piece it all back together and get it up and running.

Back