Logo

Fuel Filter embarrassment with M30A3

preventec47

There is a little fuel bowl under the engine cover of the Tohatsu M30A3 and the one I recently
bought did not contain any kind of filter in it..... So I ordered one from Tohatsu USA and
what I got in an envelope was a little zip lock big enough to hold a car key and it also had
a piece of paper folded in half with lots of printed jargon and parts number etc.

But as it appeared to me they forgot to put the fuel filter into the ziplock.

So I called and explained and they promised to send me another filter.

Same thing happened about a week later when I got a replacement envelope
and I pulled the little folded piece of paper out of the zip lock and inside the
paper was a little disk about the same diameter as a nickel with about a quarter inch
diameter hole in the middle. The little disk is apparently a super fine mesh piece of
metallic screen that fits into the fuel bowl under the motor cover. I then realized that
first package probably had the filter in it and I could not find it. This is the most
insubstantial fuel filter I have ever seen in my life. Do other Tohatsu motors use
factory filters like this ?

Well Glory Be ! When I went to get photos to show everyone what it looks
like without a filter , I discovered there was a filter tucked up into the fuel bowl top.

Photos dont lie ! I was expecting some kind of filter cartridge etc. Look at the photos
I attached

Attachments

• 170824_A.jpg
    170824_A.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 170824_B.jpg
    170824_B.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 170824_C.jpg
    170824_C.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 29
Hahaha the bigger motors use the filter cartridge you expected ... but it is still a good idea to have a inline fuel filter between the tank and the motor ....

Tohatsu America doesn't sell to consumers; they may have sent you a part for your 25-year-old motor as goodwill. That model has a settling bowl with a filter of 10 microns or less. Typical in those days. Newer motors use a small inline filter.

Back