Logo
Click for Honda Manuals, Parts and Model Guides!

Default Preparing for Swivel Case and Mount Frame replacement

1995 BF45

My mount frame is rusted to the point of not having confidence in it's strength (what a terrible design...). Last weekend I was hammering out the top tilt cylinder pin and large chunks of rusted mount frame were falling off.

The correct mount frame for my outboard is no longer available, but the 2004+ mount frame is. Comparing parts lists, the 2004 BF40 and 1995 BF45 share almost all parts. The parts not shared (relevant to this project) are the Swivel Case, Mount Frame and Stern Brackets. I lucked out and found the correct Stern Brackets and Swivel Case on ebay (in near new condition). Will order a new Mount Frame and Lower Mount Center Housing as well as a few oddball parts.

Does this sound like the correct procedure?

- Remove lower unit, throttle cable and shift cable
    - Support engine with overhead lift
    - Remove Upper Rubber Motor Mount Nuts
    - Remove Lower Motor Mounts
    - Lift off outboard
    - Remove tilt cylinder, Pivot (steering) tube, Swivel Case and Stern Brackets
    - Re-assemble

I do have the correct Honda shop manual. Any "Gotchas" I should watch for? I'm hoping that by replacing the Swivel Case and Lower Mount Center Housing I'm eliminating most of the expected problems with seized components. Any parts that should be replaced while I'm in there?

Thanks for any insight!

Matt

Default Re: Preparing for Swivel Case and Mount Frame replacement

I'm pushing a bit deeper into the fray...

I found a new - takeoff, complete transom mount, swivel, mount frame, trim tilt assembly. Off a 2007 BF50...

I'm 95% sure it will directly bolt to my motor/mid-section. I'm not so sure about the wiring of the tilt/trim and the trim angle sensor. I think the newer engines use the ECM to drive the trim tilt as opposed to the older models using relay/control module. I figure it just needs switched power. Can't be that difficult to figure out, right?

Hi,
    Yes, it's just a matter of switching 12 v to the motor while reversing polarity at the same time.

Getting closer, waiting for a few more parts.

Yesterday I started pre-soaking with PB Blaster to improve my chances. I noticed that the shift rod passes through the swivel case. This screws up my plan of removing the upper and lower motor mounts and lifting the outboard off the swivel case/stern bracket assy.

After removing the lower unit with the lower shift shaft, what do I do with the shift shaft that goes through the swivel case?

Well the 2007 new take-off parts didnt happen. The ebayer accepted my offer, took my payment and then sold it to someone else that made a higher offer... At least he refunded my payment.

Back to plan "A"
    I bought a swivel mount and transom mount set off ebay from a fresh water motor (about 2004). Look brand new to me. Bought a new frame mount and lower center mount housing (for a 2004) and a few misc pieces and started assembly.

I don't know why Honda designed it this way, but the lower center mount is a substantial press fit onto the splined frame mount. Fortunately I have a hydraulic press, but it took more than I would have guessed. If you are considering changing your frame mount, plan on a new center mount, even with proper tooling pressing an old one off would be unlikely.

Still waiting on a back ordered tilting shaft, should ship tomorrow. Might tear it apart next weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	16650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SB2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	16651  
    Last edited by Solamar; Yesterday at 12:04 PM.