Logo
Click for Volvo Penta manuals!

Angry TMD40A Mechanical Seal

I have brought new seals and bearings to refurbish the coolant pump on my TMD40A as the old bearings were damaged. On receipt of the new genuine seal I noticed that it has a stainless steel cap where the carbon face should be. The repair manual makes no mention of this. Am I totally missing something here or is there a solution to this situation.

Default Re: TMD40A Mechanical Seal

Quote Originally Posted by Col1803 View Post
    I have brought new seals and bearings to refurbish the coolant pump on my TMD40A as the old bearings were damaged. On receipt of the new genuine seal I noticed that it has a stainless steel cap where the carbon face should be. The repair manual makes no mention of this. Am I totally missing something here or is there a solution to this situation.
    Here is a picture of the seal, what is the go with the stainless steel plate being fitted there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bm-1676432_grande.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	16369  

I am not 100% sure as I haven't done one of these for a few years but I think you will find that the 2 carbon faces are in the middle of that unit and it is installed as a complete unit. The centre of the stainless piece is a press fit onto the shaft and the 'copper' piece presses into the housing. One carbon ring is held by the tabs on the stainless piece and the other one is attached to the front of the spring. I did one of these years ago and what I can remember is how difficult they were to get right and how easy they are to break.

Do not get any grease or finger oil on the carbon parts clean with rubbing alcohol if you have any doubts.
    It takes a nickle to go first class!
    If it aint broke dont fix it!!

Quote Originally Posted by aliboy View Post
    I am not 100% sure as I haven't done one of these for a few years but I think you will find that the 2 carbon faces are in the middle of that unit and it is installed as a complete unit. The centre of the stainless piece is a press fit onto the shaft and the 'copper' piece presses into the housing. One carbon ring is held by the tabs on the stainless piece and the other one is attached to the front of the spring. I did one of these years ago and what I can remember is how difficult they were to get right and how easy they are to break.
    That's makes sense, but with the kit that I brought it came with a ceramic ring to attach to the impellor. I guess that it is not required then with the seal in this arrangement.

I will tell you one thing after reading your post you definitely need the special mandril to install that seal properly otherwise you will get leaks you have to order it from Volvo