Logo

Aluminum VS SS on 2017 90 ETEC Tiller

Gearjunkie

Hello all, first post here. Stepping into uncharted territory purchasing and propping a new 2017 90 Tiller for my 20' Lund Alaskan. Currently running a 98 75HP Optimax and have both aluminum and SS 17" and 19" and hulls attitude is covered for empty and loaded situations. Now with a new Evinrude 90 Tiller in my future I'm hoping someone here might already have been through this experimental process with same or similar Hull that can share. Wondering about 3 VS 4 blade. Someone had mentioned the Apollo SS 3 blades I'm running now can be adapted to the Evi with adapter kit.

I was going to repower with Black but hoping these new ETEC's will provide reliable power. Tnx in advance

13x17 pitch is your starting point prop..... get an old 13x17 and 13x19 sst prop. very cheap to grab and brilliant props. dont go above 19 as the etec wont be strong enough to push it to correct revs......when you get a omc sst prop clean it up and sharpen the blades like razors. you will be surprised how good they are... once you know your rpm and how it performs can decide if you can use something like a raker in 20 pitch or a viper in 19 pitch...

13x17 pitch is your starting point prop..... get an old 13x17 and 13x19 sst prop. very cheap to grab and brilliant props. dont go above 19 as the etec wont be strong enough to push it to correct revs......when you get a omc sst prop clean it up and sharpen the blades like razors. you will be surprised how good they are... once you know your rpm and how it performs can decide if you can use something like a raker in 20 pitch or a viper in 19 pitch...

you sure musta been looking for something to do to reply how many years later but hey I appreciate it just the same haha.

I tried an old Michigan wheel 17” pitch 3 blade SS I had for my old 98, 75hp opti on my 90HO Etec and although she struggled to build suitable R’s on the top end the hull seemed to show signs of decent attitude. My dealer had talked me into a 15” 4 blade Rogue SS, and the great running attitude my 20’ Alaskans hull it had with the older opti, was gone. Completely different gear ratios between the opti and this Etec and why o could turn a 19” on my opti but struggled to turn a 17” with the Etec. Took me some time to find out those 4 blades are designed for Stern lift and it makes sense now because bow lift was terrible running that Rogue. I ended up settling with a 3 blade SS 13-7/8”x 15 OMC Viper and tjat did the trick. Yes sharpening leading edges is a great trick especially for us duck hunters who get back into heavy vegetation, it doesn’t completely rid the prop of salad but it’s a definite improvement. Merry Christmas

Back