Logo

insurance repair job gel-coat vs base/clear??

avro

Hi guys, unfortunately my baby suffered some damage and is being repaired under an assurance claim. I want to be sure I am being reasonable since I am not an expert in boats so I am hoping for some feedback

An approximate 2 sqft area was damaged to the fiberglass. The shop did a good repair making it look straight but it appears they finished it with base coat/ clear coat. The color match is pretty good but I can see the blends slightly. Now the shop was very resistant when I told them I wanted the repair finished in gel-coat and he never gave a straight answer that they used base/clear.

The question is should I insist on having the job redone in gel-coat? money is not the problem since its an insurance job. Is this guy try to pass a fast one? Will a properly done gel-coat repair color match well? Will the base/clear repair last for years exposed to the elements?

Thanks

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 75
Looks good.I have painted hulls with urethane, it is a much stronger and more scratch, abrasive resistant than base/clear.

I don't think the gel coat issue is worth pursuing.....the gel coat works very well when building a boat starting with an empty mold.....its a major hassle when doing a repair. And modern paints are very durable....

Your insurance adjuster should be able to explain what technique(s) were agreed to and why....

Back