Logo

Mercury 25 America Can somebody help with the year of manufacure?

D Leather

Greetings from Europe (Slovenia)

Well I have a 4,4 m speed boat with outboard Mercury 25 HP engine. The serial number ogf the engine is 9558884 and the other number is B4822 VERVIERS Made in Belgium.

Well I was looking on the interent across the globe, but can not find the year of manufacture and some specifications of the engine.
I have two of those, and Iam planing to make one good one with electric start and so one.

210140961562624910462579.jpg

210161271562624717129265.jpg

This is the other engine that I have but it wont start so Iam gonna put some electric parts down and make the america engine start electric. Iam gonna use it for spare parts. It has no serial number so I do not know which year is it..

194012411497678266957244.jpg

Take a pic of the powerhead in the first pic get the carbs and ignition box. The second one is late 80s. Look on the block for a silver disc on the powerhead with the #.

Ok
These are the pictures of the first engine above with the number plate on. I have some porblems with my mobile phone, so I took a picture from the computer.
img20170822203956.jpg

img20170822204034.jpg

img20170822204044.jpg

img20170822204006.jpg

As you can see the choke knob isa round shape, engine has 2 cly and it is 2 stroke, long shaft.

The second engine camed with the boat. But after few hours in took off. Reason bad coils. So I got from the seller another engine for free that looks just like my.
But the main problem is solving those production years on both engines.

Engine number one is the one that Iam gonna use it, becuse it is in much better shape than the second one. From the second one i am gonna pull down electric starter and cables along. Iam gonna use it for spare parts.

Now can we solve this mistery?:)

So your first pictures that show the motor with the serial number 9558884, is a 1989 model made by Merc in Belgium (which marketed to Europe). There was little if any difference between the Belgian, Australian, Canadian and US built models - they sourced their parts most likely from the same place and did the final assembly at the respective plants.

In probably over 90% of the models, if you are looking up parts online you will see reference to both the Belgian and US models for the same part within their respective serial number range.

I have a pair of 9.9's, an 86 and an 87 model. The 86 has a Canadian serial, the 87 a US serial and they share every part on them without exception and are over 90% compatible with my 1991 15 horse (US serial).

Aha Ok thats first good info. I noticed some Mercury motors and they look the same by the eye.
that means I can search on the internet for spare parts just by looking the shape and horse power of those engines. I mean they all look the same no matter if they are from Europe or across the globe. The most important for me is getting know the year of manufacture.

The second engine is much older than the first one?

The second does not look "much older" to me.

I would guess that it's a 1984 or 1985 model based on the colours and shape of the top cowl.

Back