Logo

Bravo 3 out drive paint touch up: Newbie help

jigeye

I have attached photos of my outdrive that need some repaint. The keel was my fault, I did not check if it was up and drug it through the gravel a few feet when pulling out of my shed. It caught it quickly. The areas where is red circle were already there. It looks as though it may have it something. No worries though. I had my mechanic check gimbal bearings, seals, stern drive oil drained/checked and prop. All passed inspection and the boat has been run several times with no issues noted. Note: prop will be removed and sent for balance, clean up etc as my season is about over here anyway.
I know there may be some forums on how to repaint an outdrive. It looks like the outdrive will not have to be taken off again to do what little there is to do. The keel repaint looks fairly easy but the red circle areas have been chipped off quite a bit.
If someone could get me the steps to do this as a winter project, it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

attachment.php

Attachments

• xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,753
Zinc primer and mercruiser phantom black, sand to smooth out and rough up the aluminum. Just tape off any anodes on the drive

OK. The only issue is the area by the prop with a circle is rather deep. I do not think it can be sanded. Can I use Marine Tex to fill it in, let it completely dry, then sand it before painting?

Agree with Chris, wouldn't over think it. If your bored and want to fill it JB weld marine worked well for me

Back