Logo

Detroit Diesel 692/435 hp Smoking

Strike29

Our port engine started to smoke recently after we installed 6 Reliabuilt 9215 injectors. We put about 15 hours on it and it ran fine until we were on a run to the dock and she started to smoke. She didn't loose power just billowed black smoke. At the dock she idles well and will smoke when we raise the rpm. We checked the turbos and blower and they seem to be ok. There were no loose air hoses either. I'm wondering if we have failed injectors. Would a clogged return fuel line do this or could a liner have turned and blocked the holes? We'd appreciate any advice you may have.

It's definitely not a "turned" liner. That can't really happen and, even if it could, the ports would still be open to the air box.

Since you say it didn't lose power, my first instinct is to guess it's over fueling. The first thing to do is to check fuel pressure and make sure it doesn't go above about 70 psi.

If the pressure is stable, then it is likely an injector problem. You may have one or more with failed/blown tips. If so, and you haven't had any problem with the other engine, I wouldn't suspect water in the fuel.

What I would suspect is that the injector, or injectors, have been mishandled. The tips are somewhat delicate and don't take well to being dropped or knocked around during storage and transport. They can suffer almost indiscernible cracks due to rough handling and then get blown off when put in service.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Back