Logo

Default Yamaha 115 shifts fine out of water but hard to shift into neutral in water

I just test dipped my motor today on my project boat. On the hose you can shift into forward to neutral to reverse and vice versa. In the water today It was stiff shifting back to neutral from forward and as well as from reverse. A couple of times it passed straight through neutral to reverse. Any help would be appreciated!

Default Re: Yamaha 115 shifts fine out of water but hard to shift into neutral in water

Year and model?

Default Re: Yamaha 115 shifts fine out of water but hard to shift into neutral in water

Sorry I thought I included that. It's a 2000 Yamaha 115 xtry.

First, Look right above the lower unit at the shift rod. I know Yamaha improved the rod for rot, But I always check it. If it looks like two pencil points touching, there is your problem.

Second, if the shift rod looks fine, Look under the intake of the power head and make sure the shift rod pivot is not broken.

Third, disconnect the cable at the engine and see if the shift slide moves freely.

Fourth, If everything above is good, pull the lower unit off and make sure the splined coupler that is welded to the shift shaft has not broken loose.
    Chris
    Dockside Marine Services
    Jersey Shore.
    Mercruiser/Mercury Certified
    Let the insanity begin.

Great thanks for the info. When I get home and check it out I'll let you know! Hopefully it will be an easy fix!

Check your idle speed If its set too high it will be hard to get out of gear and into neutral.