Logo
Get instant online access to repair manuals for your Chrysler / Force outboard. Online Manuals
ChryslerForce
Order printed Chrysler / Force service manuals — shipped to your door! Printed Manuals
ChryslerForce
Use engine diagrams to find & order parts for your Chrysler / Force engine. Engine Diagrams
ChryslerForce

Default 1997 Force / Mercury 75hp water issues

I have recently inquired a 1997 75hp outboard that looks like it has just come out of the box.. Well It kinda did.... mounted on a 17 ft starcraft that has been garage kept and stored for the last 14 years with little time before that Upon starting I found the main armature shaft bent. Asked the older gents grandson if this was a known problem and said that was the reason for his grandfather storing it away... I purchased a new starter and now I am getting water in the center cylinder Already pulled the head and exhaust plate and see no reason for the water Any known issues or ideas

compression 150 all three

Thanks Howard

Default Re: 1997 Force / Mercury 75hp water issues

When it was stored for all those years, was it laying down?
    Are you in a freeze zone?
    Possible there was water in it and it froze and cracked the block.
    The head not warped?
    88 Bayliner with 2002 225 HP Mercury EFI

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
    ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

Head is .001 out which I feel is very acceptable. Reading a few articles the 4 cyl motors have had issues with the aluminum plate between the exhaust cover and block has been an issue cracking but after reading and looking , I would have water issues on the lower cyl also. The plate is warped a bit but not cracked. I can see almost all of the water jackets and have found no cracks from the head end, exhaust side and I even pulled the intake covers. I just hate to dump hard earned dollars into gaskets just to find out water is still present..... Just looking for Ideas Thanks for the reply

It was stored almost completely upright. It has tilt but it wasn't even half way up Have you ever heard of the starter armature shaft bending The grandson told me his grandfather had replaced at least 3 starters

thinking a couple things. 1. If water / hydro lock was the issue, I should have found evidence of rust or corrosion in the cylinders. The cylinders were perfect with original cross hatch. 2. I have never heard the center cyl fire, water is getting in that fast. plug end turns grey sludge pretty fast

New gasket, not yet.
    Silicone the old one and tighten it down.

Starter: is the bottom bracket in place? the top 2 holes for the bolts, are they egg shaped or perfectly round?

If there is no rust on walls, then it pretty much points to the head gasket.

CLOSE UP pics of the gasket??

I had a pinhole sized hole in the side of the gasket and it did the same.
    88 Bayliner with 2002 225 HP Mercury EFI

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
    ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida