Logo

Changing outdrive

Helipilot

Hello,
So my cobra outdrive blew up, and I have acquired a new (used) one in very good shape. My question is that I hear all kinds of horror story's about the shift cable adjustment. I never had any shift issues with the last drive. I have called every marine mechanic in my area to have a look at it and I am finding it extremely difficult to get anyone with any actualy omc knowledge. Most either won't return my calls or hang up on me when I mention omc, it is ridiculous but that's beside the point. My question is can I just install the new drive without worrying about the shifter or should should I keep trying to find someone to look at it?

Suggestion:
Purchase the adapting kit and replace the OMC Cobra with a Volvo Penta SX drive.
Doing so will eliminate the Dog Clutch, the ESA, the troublesome ESA and lower shift cable adjustments, and you will have nice, easy, smooth Cone Clutch shifting from here on out!

Or...... don't do that and continue with the OMC Blues!

Update.
I used Stuart's guide from hastings website to check my shifting cables and linkage. I went ahead and installed the drive and put the boat in the water. My results are that shifting is probably 100x smoother then the previous drive. The only issue I seem to have now is that when going slow at about 1000 rpm when I turn the steering there is some sort of vibration. I do not have the engine alignment tool so I didn't bother with that but in hindsight I feel that might be the issue. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Suggestion:
Purchase the adapting kit and replace the OMC Cobra with a Volvo Penta SX drive.
Doing so will eliminate the Dog Clutch, the ESA, the troublesome ESA and lower shift cable adjustments, and you will have nice, easy, smooth Cone Clutch shifting from here on out!

Or...... don't do that and continue with the OMC Blues!

I have looked into converting the drive but the Volvo penta drive is crazy expensive, my alternative would be the sei conversion to the alpha one drive which is much more reasonable in price for an old boat.

Back