Logo

Is the 2006 HPDI V MAx 200 hp a great motor??

Nucad

Regular Contributor
Seems I have read somewhere...probably here that the 2.6 litre is great, but the bigger one might be problematic. Considering a boat with a 2006 3.3litre that claims low hours and well maintained. Any known trouble issues with the 2006 200 HP V Max ?
Thanks.

By far one of my favourite 2-stroke motors of all time, low maintenance, hard workers. My friends used these on their fishing boats and they run WOT for hours to go out to sea and in extreme conditions. Fuel consumption is a bit high. There is not any known issues I am aware of, as long as you threat them well they will treat you well.

They were good motors but did have issues that were fixed by Yamaha. The 2006 motors are called Series 1 engines and like you said in the higher HP engines some did blow up. Remember these are maxed out two stroke engines and like all high HP engines if something is not right they will eat themselves to death. Piston seizures with rods thrown through blocks are not uncommon especially in the 300 HP versions. Everything must be in spec as Yamaha service says or you could have a BIG problem and parts for these are astronomically expensive. Early engines had oil injection pumps that were calibrated to delivery too much oil and this caused mis-firing and plug fouling. These engines must also be warmed up for a rather long time when they are first started cold. Idling and slow speed running for at least 15 minutes is needed to ensure they dont cold seize when the thermostats open for the first time. They replace these pumps with new ones for free if the owned took it to a dealer.If it blows up badly most engines get sold off for parts because of this. So here is what I recommend for you. Do some research and find out what the best Yamaha dealer for service is in your area. Go and talk to them and talk to the tech that will be working on it. Do they have the computer software, PC, connection cords so they can read the end codes etc. If they dont have this walk away because they dont know what they are doing. Once you are confident then ask the to check that updates have been done and then to do a complete service job. You will be happy then. If you dont do the above it could cost you a fortune and in the end you may no end up with an engine.

Interesting. A 15 minute warmup sounds like something I would be unable to do. I'd be using the boat as a bit of a runabout with 5 minute jaunts between the island I live on and where I park my car. Are many boats this cold blooded? We have a 5.7 litre Cobalt that has been doing the 10 minute run (dock to dock) since 2000 and runs like new.
I take it that the 200HP 3.3 isn't considered one of the high HP editions that is prone to blow up?

Last edited:
The difference here is the state of tune of the engine. Your 5.7 litre 4 stroke GM car engine makes about a real 220 hp although depending on the year its probably rated for 260. So it makes 220 with almost 6 litres of displacement while the Yamaha is making 300 HP with only 3.3 litres. So the engine with the higher state of tune means it turns more RPM, has a higher compression, more radical valve and ignition timing and is lighter etc. The thermal requirements will be very different as well remembering that a two stroke fires on every revolution while Mr Gm fires every second time with a cooling cycle in between. So what I'm saying is that if everything is right and to spec as above the Yamaha is a reliable high performance engine but will need different maintenance than your current engine. The 200HP engine is in between and if you do as I say above, you will love it. Personally I would avoid the 250/300 unless you really need the competitive power.

Back