Logo

How good a motor was the 1984 200 HP??

Nucad

Regular Contributor
I am considering buying a Mastercraft Barefoot 200 to ski behind. It is a 1992 model and I believe it is in clean condition. Price is decent for this model. The motor is a 1984 however. Certainly older than I'd like, but i'll keep an open mind. Were these good motors? Did they get decent fuel economy compared to a motor from 1992 or 2002?
Are parts widely available? Any weaks spots? What is the best year for a Yamaha 200?

Thanks.

Most of your questions/concerns cannot be accurately answered because the engine is over 30 years old. How good it runs or how poorly it runs is proportional to how good or how poorly it has been maintained. Parts will not be easy to come by because the original parts have been superseded numerous times over 30 years.

No such answer exists to what is best year of yamaha. The engine is what it is....how it consistently performs is directly proportional to how well its maintained.

I get the feeling you are are not familiar with outboard mechanics. If Im correct, I suggest passing on this engine bc much of the service and maintenance you'll need to do yourself.

Most of your questions/concerns cannot be accurately answered because the engine is over 30 years old. How good it runs or how poorly it runs is proportional to how good or how poorly it has been maintained. Parts will not be easy to come by because the original parts have been superseded numerous times over 30 years.

No such answer exists to what is best year of yamaha. The engine is what it is....how it consistently performs is directly proportional to how well its maintained.

I get the feeling you are are not familiar with outboard mechanics. If Im correct, I suggest passing on this engine bc much of the service and maintenance you'll need to do yourself.

Yes, you are correct that I am not experienced in maintaining an outboard, however I do have considerable car maintenance experience over the last 38 years. Currently I am working on a 1970 Evinrude Fastwin 18HP as my first boat repair project , and am quite enjoying seeing the build quality of it. I guess my real question is how much more efficient are two strokes from the 90's vs early 80's. I have a Tohatsu 90 HP on another boat that is a 2014 direct injection, and while it seems quite efficient, it does not have the snap of my friend's carbureted Mercury 75HP.

I still might be interested in the older powered 92 Mastercraft if the rest of the boat is in VG condition and factor in the price of a good used and healthy 175-200 HP outboard. All the outboard Mastercrafts came with Yamaha power from what I can see. I don't know what year they went with fuel injection.
Thanks for the reply.

From reading various threads, looks like that HPDI V6 is quite a great motor. Wonder what one in good shape would cost?

Old yamaha motors are still as good as the newer ones if they were looked after .... the 200hp has always been one of my fav ... test the compression it is the only way you will be able to tell what condition it is in ....

These old Yamaha motors were great motors with very few issues such as electrical problems. To make this motor work for you , you have to ascertain if the motor is in good shape so a compression test is needed. Get a compression gauge, disconnect all of the spark plug wires, open the throttle to wide open by pressing in the over ride gear selection, remove all of the spark plugs and do one cylinder at a time. You need to have 90 to 115 psi on each cylinder and the pressure should be even. Best with no more than 15 lbs difference. If its 75 or lower in one or more cylinders then its tear down time unfortunately. If you continue to use the engine it will fail and do very serious damage to the engine making it not economical to fix $$$.If its good then remove the carbs and have them professionally cleaned and adjusted to factory specs.Remove the gear box and install new seals and water pump impeller. Remove and replace the thermostats. Clean the fuel tank if its in the boat or if its and portable one, replace ALL OF THE FUEL FILTERS. Install new NGK-B7HS spark plugs and fire it up. Now you have an engine that you know is in good shape with no guesses. Even paying for this work its a tiny fraction for what new motors cost of what it will cost you if you just hope its OK and then you have to rebuild.

Thanks for the detailed response. I looked over the parts pricing on an online source. So many parts are unavailable. I'll factor the cost of good used power into this boat. I am hoping to see it on Monday.

Back