Logo

2006 BF225 NMEA Hook up for engine info Garmin Plotter

maxthrottle

Contributing Member
I have a pair of 2006 BF225's and new Garmin 8212 plotters. I've noticed a plugged connector on the engine I believe to be used for the network.
I wonder if this will work? Engines are serial 14017xxx. Thanks, Bob

Sorry, but they will not work. I went down that path when I first got my 225 in 2008. Honda didn't set up their digital signals from the ECU to be NMEA compatible until the 2010 model year.

Somebody may have solved that issue by now, but I am not aware of it. If anyone knows, try BRP Diagnostics.
http://www.brpdiagnostics.com/contactus/

They make the Dr. H diagnostic system, so they obviously understand just what signals are coming off the ECU.

I have a pair of 2006 BF225's and new Garmin 8212 plotters. I've noticed a plugged connector on the engine I believe to be used for the network.
I wonder if this will work? Engines are serial 14017xxx. Thanks, Bob

Thank you for the fast response. Too bad they engine info can't be integrated into a modern system. The only monitoring I have on the engines are from the simple round Honda monitors and the idiot lights by the keys. Zero temperature info

Yep, I thought the same thing, especially when the other manufactures had been doing that for several years.

You can install your own temp sensors and gauges. It's pretty easy. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will return the write up on how to do it. You will need to have enough console space for two gauges - one for each bank of cylinders. You could do it with only one gauge.

Yep, I thought the same thing, especially when the other manufactures had been doing that for several years.

You can install your own temp sensors and gauges. It's pretty easy. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will return the write up on how to do it. You will need to have enough console space for two gauges - one for each bank of cylinders. You could do it with only one gauge.

Yes, that does look simple. Thank you! Bob

I play around with little raspberry Pi computers a bit - I actually have 3 in our beach house monitoring water and air temperatures as well as the output from our solar PV panels.

I think it may be reasonably easy to read temperature data from a few sensors attached to the engine and output that dates as s NMEA 2k sentence

I'll look into it.

Back