Logo

Yamaha 1981 . What to do ?

Pritchy

Hi all.
I'm new into boating and would like a little advice please.
I purchased a nearly new rib and with it came a Yamaha 1981 15hp 15c 684cs 011453

Because my budget is tight, I was all up for giving it a paint job and service over the winter period .
Now I've discovered that it quite old , I lost confidence in it and after doing some searching I'm struggling to find parts like an impeller etc.
It seems to run great , but at 36 years old I'm worried it's way past it's best.
I have ittle experience with outboards so any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks

I'm struggling to find parts like an impeller etc.

Well no reason to rid of it if it's running good. Just keep on on the preventative maintenance schedule. And if you can't confirm what maintenance had been performed by previous owner, best to assume no maintenance had been done. So that means replacing plugs, impeller, carb kit, LU oil, thermostat and gasket, fuel filter, grease points, etc.

As far as finding parts, yes it will be difficult depending on the part. The parts in your motor have been superseded numerous times. Let's take the impeller from example. What I would do is call a yamaha OEM distributor of your choice, have your engine year/model number, and tell them what you need. They will be able to trace back the original part number and substitute it with a superseded part number.

Finding a service manual from 1981 will be difficult. 1984 is the closest year I can find for a 15hp is here:
https://www.vansoutboardparts.com/s...ha-shop-manuals/717-1984-yamaha-9-9n-15n/file

That manual should at least give you a general idea on how to replace/repair/troubleshoot. Good luck.

Many thanks Classic AQ for replying.
I started the outboard up again yesterday and it really does run smooth.
I'll be doing the maintenance that you pointed out and contact the Yamaha OEM .
Thanks for finding the manual link. I'm sure that will come in handy.
Kind regards

These parts are still available, well around these parts anyway, my old yamahas all run as strong as the day I got them. The only ever problem you will ever have with this model is most probably a coil, but you will probably find that they have already been replaced.

Your motor seems to be equivalent with 6E8 type ( Yamaha 15D )
The parts have not changed much and I think you will find most of them quite easy.
Have a look here and see if you can identify that's the same motor :
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-lodochnyh-motorov/yamaha/15-7219/15-17918/15d-753169

You can see if the water pump , carb and engine block look the same as yours.

People say if the owners cared about them, those motors last lifetime.

Last edited:
No problem,
Glad I could help.
Few days ago I also bought a 25hp Mariner from '83. Which in fact is Yamaha 25D ( same series as yours ) with Mariner decals and paint job.
The motor runs so smooth I was amazed. I can barely wait to put it to work, but I expect to last very long even if it already has 34 years.
As I said, those motors didn't seem to have a end of life.

Back