Logo

Mercury 25 won't start up

Patrick.

Hello, my father was an outboard mechanic all his life and always knew what to do. He's passed now so I don't have the teacher to spin around and ask a question. This 25 2stroke mercury won't fire up and I need help. Gas is hooked right to the carb and is getting LOTS of it, when I put my hand or a napkin over the throat it floods instantly but that's the only way I've gotten it to start and scream ever w full warmup lever. The lever advances timing so I disconnected that and just tried moving the cam forward but no. Spark checker showed what looked like intermittent spark on #2 so I put a new coil on, checked fine. I grounded the plugs to the case to see if THEY sparked, and do. I can't tell if there's water getting to the cylinders bc the plugs are brand new and won't run long enough to see if they'll get dirty nor does the head come off to expose and look at the cylinder walls, the pistons come out of the opened case. When I cleaned the carb I looked in to see the reeds, they're clean looking. I've rebuilt the starter and its spinning fast enough and drawing properly. It just has to be some fuel issue in the engine right? Is fuel not getting passed the carburetor and that's why it floods so quickly when I try to air choke it with my hand? There's no other choke on it to activate. I pressed the blue enrichment plunger down trying and put my finger on the little vent hole by the idle adjustment screw also.
Oh 125 compression both. Vented tank. Safety switch works (e.g. spark). I'm pretty certain these are the right plugs. They are for a wide range of the 90's motors BP8H-N, gap is .037. I'm out of ideas have you got any clues?

When you cleaned the carb did you disassemble it? Check the float height and inspect the needle valve? Bad float/float set-up or damaged needle will cause flooding as you describe.

Also the at little blue plunger - the (mechanism) under (inside) of it can cause a flood. Below the plunger is a spring and a diaphragm. Then below that another spring, ball bearing, a couple of seals/seats. If any of those get jiggered up, it will also cause a flood in the carb (basically like running fully choked all the time).

So if you are sure you have good spark, and you obviously have gas (too much maybe in this case) I would tend to suggest getting a rebuild kit for the carb that includes the primer service kit and the fuel pump diaphragm/gaskets and rebuild the entire assembly.

Without knowing your exact model, generally a "complete carb kit" (has everything except a new float) lists for about $100 bucks right from Merc. With a bit of looking you can probably find one for a good bit less.

Push the little blue plunger on the side of the carb, if fuel squirts out the side, the diaphragm is shot
I just went through this with my 2003 25hp

I just got the carb kit in, 25$. The choke on the side did spurt fuel but even after the new kit it did that.
The water jacket on the side has a gasket separating the water and exhaust port. The cylinder walls were totally spotless and not oiled when I was able to look inside. I'm going to replace those 2 gaskets and see what happens then.
And yes it definitely is sparking, like a thunderstorm.
..and a prick..

The little hole below and to the right of the blue button still had fuel coming out?
http://assets.suredone.com/1747/media-photos/21214-mercury-mariner-carburetor-wmc-47-1994-2006-6-8-99-15-hp-8846a16-8846a17.jpg
The replacement for mine had a black shaft on the enrichment. What was the part number for the kit you got?

If gas is squirting out from the very top of the carb you have a float problem

Last edited:
How did you find a carb kit for THAT motor so cheaply? It's usually around 100 bucks!

Jeff
ProMarine has the kit for 29.99 and 19.33 with my tax # WSM has the BIG kit for 38.99 and 19.95 dealer
That exhaust/water jacket gasket fixed it. The motor must've been getting spurts of water in the cylinders
Or just ruining compression behind the pistons. Either way its fixed! Thanks everybody, you can't help but want to ask someone when your stuck

Just because the sparkplugs spark on the outside does not mean they will spark on the inside. I have been fooled by this more than once. Change the plugs.

Ditto. Easy to make a spark under no pressure--much harder at 150 psi and more.

Jeff

PS: Old gas stations used to have plug checking machines. You watched the plug sparking through a glass window as you raised the pressure. A good plug kept going, where a suspect one slowly lost spark. Those were the days when a service station offered service, not coffee, groceries, medicine and other stuff.

Last edited:
Back