Logo

No fuel getting to either engine twin Crusader 454 1993 Gibson

kjsharp

Both engines shut down within seconds of each other while cruising at 3200 rpm. Did not hear any alarms when this was occurring. No fuel is getting to either engine. Both will crank momentarily when primed. Both tanks are over 1/2 full - stick confirmed. Have since replaced all rubber fuel lines and both fuel filters. Engines have quadrajets and I have not yet determined if fuel pumps are electric. I am hoping someone is familiar with this situation. Thank you

Last edited:
Do you have single or dual fuel pick-ups? If they have electric fuel pumps check for blown fuse or possible oil psi switch for fuel shut down if no oil psi. Would also check fuel pick up in tank.

Appears I have one pick-up per tank. Both tanks are plumbed such that I can run both engines off of both tanks or off of either tank. After verifying electric fuel pumps, I will check for the blown fuse but not sure how to approach the oil pressure switch possibility. I do know that the oil pressure has consistently been 40 to 50 psi in both engines. Not sure how a fuel pick-up issue in one tank would cause both engines to shut down almost concurrently when both tanks were supplying both engines. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
The only way I could see one pickup impacting both engines would be for that pickup to be "shared".

with the q-jets on top of the intakes, I'd bet on mechanical pumps vs electric. One approach to isolating the fuel supply issue is to temporarily use an outboard tank...but you must be careful due to the added risks posed.

Concur on the likelihood of electric pumps. I am going to hone in on the fuel pick ups. If one failed/fell to the bottom of the tank, then the pumps would have immediately started sucking air. Since both tanks were supplying fuel at the time, this could explain why both engines died. Thank you.

Check vent lines make sure its not clogged. I had a wasp make a nest in the through hull vent once.

Last edited:
Good suggestion. I will take a look. Headed back out there tomorrow to test and replace if/as necessary both pick up tubes.
Thank you

Good suggestion. I will take a look. Headed back out there tomorrow to test and replace if/as necessary both pick up tubes.
Thank you

Seems like the only single point of failure is the crossover valve. Packing leaked air into both engines.

Problem has been fixed. Turns out the starboard pick up tube had unscrewed itself over time from the special nut at the top of tank (that is visible at the top of the tank and the shut off valve screws also into it) It apparently dropped a fraction of an inch, to the bottom of the tank, creating an air leak,shutting off both engines. I put in a new heavy nylon tube so his will not happen again, at least not on this side. Thank you all for responding.

Glad it's resolved.

For completeness, can you verify that you had the 'plumbing controls' so that BOTH engines were being fed from that ONE tank ??

Yes - 2 tanks, each with their own valve. Both valves were open when both engines died. There is a copper line/crossover that connects both tanks and allows both engines to run off of one tank or off of both. So it appears that once air is introduced with a disconnected pick up tube, then that cuts off the fuel for both engines.

Yes - 2 tanks, each with their own valve. Both valves were open when both engines died. There is a copper line/crossover that connects both tanks and allows both engines to run off of one tank or off of both. So it appears that once air is introduced with a disconnected pick up tube, then that cuts off the fuel for both engines.

You should not run with all 3 valves open.

Back