Logo

johnson 35 hp 1986 water pump

Mattl468

Contributing Member
I replaced the water pump and its still not pumping water. I forgot to put part number 326693 its #64 on the diagram. I took it back a part yesterday but didn't have enough time to reassemble. I tested it and it still wasn't pumping. would leaving that part out cause it not to pump? I want to make sure I have it together right this time so I don't have to do it again.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...J35RCDM&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Gearcase

It would still pump water with the tube out. Is the water tube lined up? Did the water tube fall out when you were reassembling everything? Did you put the key in for the impeller?

If the water tube is in place in the exhaust housing, that may be pinched off from corrosion there or under the power head. Take thermostat out and see if water is getting up that far.

the water tube never came out. so I need to try and pull it out? then attach the water tube to the impeller housing and then put it back in the motor?

the water tube never came out. so I need to try and pull it out? then attach the water tube to the impeller housing and then put it back in the motor?
No leave the water line in the motor. Since you have to pull it apart to put the tube back in check to make sure the water tube lined up.

You can blow some air up the water tube and see if it is open, could be that a larger chunk of the impeller got lodged up at the powerhead. First I should ask, was the impeller broken apart....was any pieces missing off it? Is the intake side open too? Often people don't check that either. I also pre lube the impeller with Freylube.....it is a tire bead grease that helps with mounting and aluminum alloy wheel oxidation. Available at most reputable tire shops. It is completely compatable with all rubber. Works great for where the copper tube meets the rubber couplings too.

Last edited:
Well its fixed the tube wasn't lined up. It was a pain to get it lined up. Thanks for the help I was about to give up and pay a mechanic

Back