Logo

79 150hp V6 electric choke problem help plz

tawas23

79 Mercury 150hp V6 I am having problems with the electric choke when I press the choke button the butterflies close as suppose to but when I turn key in the start position and hold choke button the choke opens when cranking then closes again after starter is not engaged anymore.. can someone help me in why the choke does this as its not helping start the engine with choke button is used.I have to use starting fluid to start and hold the choke button for a few seconds until warmed up as it works only if starter isn't engaged ..

Common problem on this model as starter draws to much amperage and voltage dropsto choke solenoid. Cure is bigger battery and rebuild starter.

Wanted to ask if the starter solenoid could be bad also causing this too or is it most of the time starter and what cranking amp battery would be best for this motor??

OK well I replaced the starter and spins much better and installed new Marine deep cycle battery and tried another battery I had and the choke still when in starter position disengages and after I let go of starter position choke closes again same issue what other part could cause this .needed a starter anyways and battery so happy both are new but issue still exists any ideas??

Well was hoping to get a phone call from faztbullet but never did.. can anyone else help me with the choke not engaging when key is in start position ???really hoping to get some help here ????

Back