Logo

Mercury Classic 50 mid-throttle stutter/skip, intermittent WOT skip

Noelie84

Good evening!
I've got a Mercury Classic 50 that came on a 17' Corson Fiberglass runabout that I picked up earlier this summer. When I got it, the motor wasn't running. Previous owner replaced the plugs, wires, and switchbox, and rebuilt the carbs. I replaced the Stator and Trigger, and it worked fine after that. I used it for about a month, probably with a total of 15 hours of run time. Gradually I noticed that my WOT RPMS were dropping, from around 5500 at WOT originally to a new max of around 4800 RPM's. Around the same time it developed an intermittent skip at WOTaround , and a consistent skip at mid-throttle. I did some research online and thought it may need a decarb, so I did that and swapped out the plugs for a fresh set afterwards. No difference.
In the last month while trying to diagnose this issue, I have done the following:
ELECTRICAL:
*ohm'd the coils and replaced two that read very slightly on the low (but still within spec) side. No change
*played switcharoo with every combination of all 6 of the coils on hand when that didn't make a difference. No change
*swapped the spark plugs around, with every combination of the 8 plugs on hand. No change

FUEL (after some repair threads suggested the possibility of fuel starvation):
*Rebuilt fuel pump. No change
*Replaced fuel filter (also tried deleting it altogether) No change.
*Replaced fuel bulb. No change
*Replaced all fuel lines. No change
*Cleaned and rebuilt carbs with new needles. No change.
*Tried running straight from a 5 gallon can to rule out a problem with my tank. No change

I also have messed with the fuel mix, the throttle linkage settings, retarded and advanced the timing, and thrown a temper tantrum.

Compression is good, all 4 cylinders read between 140-150. Spark is strong at idle (where I have been able to test it, since I'm working alone) and will jump a 1/2 gap without any problems.

I'm stumped. Can anybody point me in the right direction before I cave and take it to the local marina? I REALLY don't want to pay their labor rates.

You didn't state the year and type of ignition system (I assume its a ADI system) so I'm making a few assumptions.

You need to buy/ borrow a DVA meter and watch the voltage readings on the coils, and the wires coming off the stator, especially the red ones (high speed coil).

I purchased an attachment DVA accessory that uses my trusted ohm meter. Well under 50 bucks and works well.

Jeff

You didn't state the year and type of ignition system (I assume its a ADI system) so I'm making a few assumptions.

You need to buy/ borrow a DVA meter and watch the voltage readings on the coils, and the wires coming off the stator, especially the red ones (high speed coil).

I purchased an attachment DVA accessory that uses my trusted ohm meter. Well under 50 bucks and works well.

Jeff

Sorry, that's my bad.

I'm not certain on the year, but it's an 86 or newer because it has the 'downrated' 45hp markings even though it also says "classic fifty" on the cowling. The serial number tag is pretty faded but I'm pretty sure it's either OB205350 or OB205750. It is an ADI system, you are correct there (black stator with enclosed coils, not the one with the exposed coils)

Any suggestions on where to find a good DVA attachment? Ebay?

Okay, I'll order it up. I've got Prime so it should be here mid-week. I'll let you know what I find out; what readings should I be looking for, and am I testing at Idle or do I need to get her out on the water and bump it up to WOT?

At cranking: Blue wire (stator) 230 volts +. Coils 190 volts +.

Running (fast idle): Blue wire 250 ". Coils 200 volts +. Red wire (stator) 250 volts +.

Jeff

2014 60 horse mercury blowing 20 amp fuse engine dies no start trim or ignition i have replaced the harness in the boat and repined the harness on the engine due too the ground wire melting. we cleaned all grounds and replaced ignition due to wires melting on the back. Running on a hose it will run all day in the water under a load it will blow within 5 min.

Re: Mercury blowing 20 amp fuse kill ignition and trim while under a load only .

2014 60 horse mercury blowing 20 amp fuse engine dies no start trim or ignition i have replaced the harness in the boat and repined the harness on the engine due too the ground wire melting. we cleaned all grounds and replaced ignition due to wires melting on the back. Running on a hose it will run all day in the water under a load it will blow within 5 min.

Running (fast idle): Blue wire 250 ". Coils 200 volts +. Red wire (stator) 250 volts +.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I got the meter in the mail last weekend but I've been working on firewood in all of my spare time lately. Supposed to be crappy/rainy tonight so I should be able to spend some time the garage tonight instead. Sorry for the delay in updating; Work > Play right now. :(

Firewood heats many times: when you cut the tree down, when you cut it up, when you stack it, when you feed the stove, and when you finally burn it! (Old Pennsylvania Deutsch remark).

Jeff

Jeff

Ok, so I finally got a chance to run the test. Got readings of 400 and 220 on the wires and the coils, but it was flickering like crazy the entire time (the readout on my multimeter). Never seen that before; is it a side effect of the DVA meter? Or do I have some other problem rearing it's head? The readout on the MM flickered while I was testing the wires and the coils. Tried another ground just in case my first one was bad and it did the same thing.

Could just be your meter. Try looking at some voltages on your car/ truck and see if it does the same thing. Don't use the ignition wires to the plugs! That's 10,000 plus volts!

Jeff

PS: Mine are rock steady.

That would be frustrating.
Not too likely, though; I've already swapped all 4 of them out, and played shuffleplug with all 8 of the ones I had on hand....

Could be cracked coils as well.

They would ohm out ok because the windings are intact but when you are running the power could be (leaking) jumping out to ground.

You said you replaced a couple, maybe take a good look at the rest - wipe them down as clean as you can and check for small spiderweb style cracks or fire it up at night with the cowl off and look for the "sparklers" :)

I'll take a look at them; I've already replaced two and shuffled them all around in pretty much every possible configuration. I can't imagine that all 4 of the old ones would be cracked but I suppose anything's possible.

Did you ever figure out this problem as it might help others ?

Ended up replacing the switchbox again. The PO had opted for a cheapo from Ebay that apparently wasn't very robust. I took a gamble and replaced it with a considerably more expensive Quicksilver and that finally corrected the misfire issue.

Then I pulled the motor and traded it for a 60hp unit.

Back